D16z6 Build Up

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mycivichasturbo

OK heres my question......Some of my freinds told me to put a d16z6 into my 93 cx hatch. One of my friends has that motor in a 94 hatch, and its pretty quick. Wat i was wanting to no is how fast could i make this motor. If i get it im planning on putting a turbo on it, and some other mods. If i did get this would i need anything else like mounts, etc........what kind of performance can i expect to get out of this setup(et's,hp). And would i be able to keep up with b16sir II's, and b18's. Thanx.

1. Very
2. Maybe
3. Depends

You can build any block up as much as you want- how much money do you have to spend? I assume that you asking about ETs means you're looking to drag race this car.

My budget is about 1000 at the moment but in the future i will have more to build it up. Im jus wondering about et's so i have a somewhat clue of how fast it will be.

my friend had a sohc vtec with greddy kit. He hit 14.2 with 17" rims. You can get a sleeved D block at:

http://www.jgenginedynamics.com/specials

A D16 can produce more torque than a B16 if done right. That is what the guys at JG say anyways. I was thinking about building my Sohc too but got good deals on a Dohc non vtec so that is what I'm going to build. The fastest Sohc vtec I've seen is a 9 sec. Hatch. Some guy in South America.

Originally posted by iowasmurf@Feb 16 2003, 10:34 PM
A D16 can produce more torque than a B16 if done right.

Yup. Same displacement but longer stroke, so it makes more torque.

"same displacement but longer stroke?"

I have a 93 coupe with a d16 vtec in it. Could i put a dohc head on it? If so which one? b16? What kinda power gains might i see? I've got the money to do it, just dont know if thats were i should put it. Thanks

I do have turbo plans, garrett t3.

You will not be able o swap a b16 head onto your d block, or any b series head for that matter. Unfortunatley you can only swap a head from another d series.

Zee

Originally posted by shizzott@Feb 19 2003, 04:51 PM
"same displacement but longer stroke?"

Yup. The B16 and D16 are both just a hair under 1600cc- 1590 and 1587 I believe. The D16 has a longer stroke than the B16- 90mm vs 77mm, so it has more torque. Piston speed is higher- with everything else held constant, a longer stroke engine will make more torque than a shorter stroke engine of the same displacement.

Originally posted by Calesta@Feb 23 2003, 11:55 PM
The D16 has a longer stroke than the B16- 90mm vs 77mm, so it has more torque.

just to re-word this. it doesn't HAVE more torque, simply because its a smaller bore. but the potential to make more is there.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 24 2003, 02:38 AM
just to re-word this. it doesn't HAVE more torque, simply because its a smaller bore. but the potential to make more is there.

Read the post... everything else held constant, the engine with the longer stroke will make more torque.

Go read your physics textbook B! :lol:

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 24 2003, 04:16 AM
but since it has a smaller bore, the actual number is less

I don't think that's why.... it's the compression difference that makes the D16 have less torque than the B16. They still have the same displacement.

well, yeah that too

nevermind- this is going no where cuz i keep forgetting things. lol

buy a zdyne and 450 cc injectors then slap a homemade turbokit on it and youll run mid 13s. that will bury b16s with boltons and b18a swaps too .

Dont get 450cc injectors, you'll run rich all day and get shit for it. Dont got bigger than 370cc. Thats if you get a built engine like i have. You would really only need 310cc on stock internals. Dont bother putting a dual cam head(as in d series) on the car, not worth it at all. There are some problems with having more torque on the d series. For example. You pretty much can't drop the clutch. You'll get better launches if you dont, but if you decide to, you might end up snaping an axle and getting a tow home. If you do decide to build a D(i mean internally as well as turbo if you go FI) you can expect lower times than 13's depending on the car. But that assumes you get it properly tuned.

Rob

Back