d16z6 long block with y8 im, em, auto tranny and ecu drop in?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Lances

Hey guys so I am having an issue, long story short I was just scammed by some POS on CL who sold me a d16z6 and said it was a d16y8. This was supposed to be a simple stock engine replacement but now I have to contend with this. So here is my question. I have the z6 head and block. I have a 2000 civic ex with the y8 engine that has a blown bottom end. Can I bolt up everything else from the y8 (dizzy, im, em etc.) and run the y8 ecu and expect it to run properly? I see that the z6 has no knock sensor or crank sensor being obd1 and this worries me. Thanks for all the help I am actually a mitsu guy dealing with evos and was asked to do this job so I am not well versed in Honda compatibility.

Hey guys so I am having an issue, long story short I was just scammed by some POS on CL who sold me a d16z6 and said it was a d16y8. This was supposed to be a simple stock engine replacement but now I have to contend with this. So here is my question. I have the z6 head and block. I have a 2000 civic ex with the y8 engine that has a blown bottom end. Can I bolt up everything else from the y8 (dizzy, im, em etc.) and run the y8 ecu and expect it to run properly? I see that the z6 has no knock sensor or crank sensor being obd1 and this worries me. Thanks for all the help I am actually a mitsu guy dealing with evos and was asked to do this job so I am not well versed in Honda compatibility.
You can take everything off your Y8 and put it on the z6 block that will work. You cant just use the dizzy ect... As for the KS here is a link. Or you could get a p28 and jumper harness use the z6 and put the y8 im on it.
https://hondaswap.com/threads/knock-sensor-bypass.516726/

Going obd1 might not get you through emissions though if you have that in your area. the obd2 scan tool won't read the codes properly.
some more info on that deal: http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/knock.htm
Not for nothing, but you do know that the word z6 and y8 is actually stamped on the block? not sure how you feel you got 'scammed' on that....

Thanks for all the info guys. I went through this site with a fine toothed comb and got a lot of great information on this. This job is for a friends daughter and she did a number on the block. Ran the engine completely out of oil on the highway and blew not one but TWO holes in the block lol. From what I found I can swap the y8 oil pump onto the z6 and then I can run the crank sensor and the y8 dizzy (in which case a new oil pump would be needed considering the apocalypse that went through this poor engine). Regardless after blasting this person on CL he got back to me and refunded my money today hehe. Do you guys know of anyone selling a good running y8 that would be willing to ship? Been trying hard to find local ones but rather nervous to go through another cl debacle honestly.

Also yeah I take some responsibility for not looking at the engine code but I am a mitsu tech and so Honda's are not that familiar to me plus I guess I just expect higher standards from people considering I am straight up honest about everything when I sell somebody something. The long block looks pretty much identical without having a y8 sitting in front of me to check the sensors etc. Plus this dude had a y8 valve cover on it...

expect shit from the Honda community. lol It probably has the most scammers of any car niche, unfortunately.

Try a local scrap yard. theres 1000s of civics sitting in junkyard's with y8 motors. any 98-00 civic ex will work bolt in.

Back