D16Z6 Vtec Manual in place of a D15B7 nonvtec auto

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

93dxlaunius

So I have a 1993 Civic Dx and im swapping in the D16Z6 with a manual tranny in place of the D15b7 auto. I just dropped the z6 out of my crashed ex coupe and took all clutch lines, cylinders, and pedal, and the p28 ecu. I have never done a swap before. I know the z6 should bolt up directly and the body is fitted for a 5 spd since my body has all mountings for the clutch lines already. I also understand I need to hard wire vtech. I need to know the exact details on exactly how to connect the wires to the solonoid and the ecu. I also was wondering if I will have troubles with the nuetral safety switch since I dont see plugins on my car for it and the clutch pedal has sensors attached to it. please help me out with any info on the swap I may need to know!

I've never done a auto to manual swap but if you have the donor car, you should have all the parts. The fuse panel on the 93 should accept all the EX clutch wiring/sensors. Use the EX engine harness and wiring from harness into cabin. Swap it all over.

I dont have the time or ambition to do a full ex chassis harness swap. Im just going to use the engine harness off the z6 and chassis harness off the b7 and it clips right in all d series. Thanks for info on clutch pedal though. Ill see what I can butcher from my donor car

I'm pretty sure you wont have VTEC wired into harness on left side to ECU. How about swapping the passenger side then? Or wire VTEC to ECU and then pin it to the correct spots on the ECU plugs. The second option is faster but takes a little more knowledge. Check ffsquad.com for helpful tips On repinning plugs.

I know I can locate and connect it to the ecu properly i found allhat info online, I just cant figure out how to connect it to the vtech solonoid. What am I supposed to do there?

Use the D16Z6 engine harness. It will have the connectors for VTEC (not VTECh) solenoid and oil pressure. Then send the lines to the ECU.

Trace each wire from VTEC solenoid and oil pressure. You can cut the wires from the harness and then extend them (from connectors at sensors) to the ECU.

Back