D17A1 Turbo & Bolt-ons Help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Shatter

Looking to get some more power out of my stock d17a1 (Non-Vtec) (2003 Civic LX Coupe)

Before anyone tells me to swap to a VTEC or do a K Swap, keep in mind this is my daily driver not a race car (i'm saving for a supra) This engine is reliable for now and im just looking to have some fun with it while i save for a supra. Looking for about 200-300(WHP) I know its possible with the right turbo and afew bolt ons. If anyone has made a similar build please link me to some parts or give me some pointers of what to look for on a decent budget nothing too crazy.

If this is your daily driver and you're saving for a dedicated fun/project car, then why bother? I mean, even if you buy used parts and install/tune yourself, this is likely going to cost in the thousands. Why not leave it alone and have your Supra that much faster? Also, do you intend to keep the Civic as a DD even after you get the Supra? If so, then you want it to stay reliable and low maintenance. If you were to do anything at all to the Civic, I would say suspension and wheels, and leave it at that.

That's what I would do in your situation.

you wont see 200-300 whp without doing a complete build of that d17, not even being negative/rude if you want to make power you have picked the wrong chassis/engine to do it with, they are great reliable engines and just drive it till the wheels fall off and get a supra, yes if you wanted to make power a kswap would be the best route to go but its really not even practical in a d17 car because you would need a entire donor car for it , soo yea

Greddy or Edelbrock D series turbo kit, AEM FIC to tune. If you don't want to go VTEC or swap, you won't get to 200whp unless you go inside the block and spend more than a swap. Even 150whp is pretty fun.

If this is your daily driver and you're saving for a dedicated fun/project car, then why bother? I mean, even if you buy used parts and install/tune yourself, this is likely going to cost in the thousands. Why not leave it alone and have your Supra that much faster? Also, do you intend to keep the Civic as a DD even after you get the Supra? If so, then you want it to stay reliable and low maintenance. If you were to do anything at all to the Civic, I would say suspension and wheels, and leave it at that.

That's what I would do in your situation.
Because i just recently got this car. and yes when i get my supra this will still be my daily driver. But the supra wont be coming untill years from now as they are very hard to find left hand drive around here unless i get it imported but that isnt cheap. If im going to have this car for afew years why not have some fun with it right?

Because i just recently got this car. and yes when i get my supra this will still be my daily driver. But the supra wont be coming untill years from now as they are very hard to find left hand drive around here unless i get it imported but that isnt cheap. If im going to have this car for afew years why not have some fun with it right?

OR...you could save the thousands you'd spend on this and have your Supra that much faster. Like phunky.buddha said, you're not going to get 300whp from a bolt-on kit. For that, you're looking at doing internals, and that's not cheap.

Have you ever modded before? What's your budget and mechanical know-how?

thread is dumb and understanding performance per $$$ isnt understood, its a $1500 20 year old civic now for the difference in buying a nice turbo kit you could buy a Si and start off with a 100% better performance oriented chassis off the rip

and ...... supras hopes and dreams too just like turbocharging the civic , what are you going to do with no knowledge base , no experience , who is going to do the work ? who is going to tune it ? first time car has a boost leak you are going to go WTF IS GOING ON IDK WHAT TO DO , cars probably a auto also

Guys calm down... I realize we don't get the traffic we used to, but at least try to help without belittling people.

Greddy or Edelbrock D series turbo kit, AEM FIC to tune. If you don't want to go VTEC or swap, you won't get to 200whp unless you go inside the block and spend more than a swap. Even 150whp is pretty fun.
Also said dseries turbo kit you are speaking of is for 88-01 dseries 02+ is different manifold im not familiar with anyone making a kit for them its always bs manifold flange adaptors

Also said dseries turbo kit you are speaking of is for 88-01 dseries 02+ is different manifold im not familiar with anyone making a kit for them its always bs manifold flange adaptors
Hmm. I'm sure there's a manifold on the market that'll work- otherwise DIY- and if that's not within skillset, leave it alone. :)

Back