dead battery?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

b16coupe

I go to leave school today and go to lunch. So i get into my car and try to start it and nothing at all happens..no lights even came on the dash. I get campus security to jump me off and it starts right up. So i am just thinking that the battery somehow died and the alternator will charge it back up. I press the brake and the car cuts off....wtf?!?! I get it jumped back off and when i press the brake it dies again. Next time we left the jumper cables hooked up and when i press the brake it stays running. I then go to the trunk and unplug all of the lights on the outside tail lights. I get it running and when i press the brake it stays running
So i go to lunch(nerver shut the car down. I just went through drive through) and get back and i turn on the headlights and as soon as i do the car cuts off. I get it jumped back off and I let it idle for 3-5 mins and cut it off. When i go to start the car, there is no juice.

So is my battery dead? Why do my headlights and brakelights turno my car off?
It started perfectly without any sign of low juice this morning.

Thanks again

headlights turn your car off- do they really turn on is the question - some thing could be miswired where when you turn on the lights sends the signal to kill your engine but i dont really think so- battery- if when you jump it it goes - yea sounds like battery is dead but you have more problems that just that

The lights don't turn on. As soon as i turn the switch..Click and its off. Even if i turn the car off by turning the key back, it wont have any juice when i go to start it back up.

Definitly check the alternator, maybe your getting enough voltage to keep the engine running, but not the accessories such as the headlights. That would explain why your car died in the first place as well.

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Can advance auto parts check my alternator?
How many volts should it be putting out at idle?

It's your alternator... either loose wiring or dead.

The alternator should show 14.2-14.4 volts at the positive battery post at 2000rpm. Advance, AutoZone, O'Reilly can all check your alternator.

Cool, thanks. I was just reading that you can unhook the negative battery cable while the engine is running and if the alternator is good then it should keep running. Is this true?

Also, just to make sure...do i get a 94 del sol vtec alternator for a b16a sir2?

Supposedly yes, but I've never tried that test before.

I think that's the right one for you- not sure, but pretty sure.

Originally posted by b16coupe@Mar 10 2005, 03:12 PM
Cool, thanks. I was just reading that you can unhook the negative battery cable while the engine is running and if the alternator is good then it should keep running. Is this true?

Also, just to make sure...do i get a 94 del sol vtec alternator for a b16a sir2?
[post=471800]Quoted post[/post]​

take the alternator off and have the auto parts peeps check it. I have done that trick many times and it's not always true.

Originally posted by Taco15@Mar 10 2005, 06:05 PM

take the alternator off and have the auto parts peeps check it. I have done that trick many times and it's not always true.
[post=472009]Quoted post[/post]​

yeah, pulling the ground is potentially very harmful to your electrical system.

Welp, my alternator crapped the rest of the way out on me on the way home form work last night. It took forever for the tow truck to come get me. I took off the crap alternator this morning and took it up to advance auto. I found out that they make two different alternators for the del sol vtec and the one they had wasnt the same. So they showed me a picture of the other one and it looked the same as mine so i ordered it. should have it on tomorrow morning....hopefully.

Thanks for the replies

Back