Decent Looking Head Units?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92stoccord

Big Member
It seems to me that every single din head unit is terrible looking. They're all bright and flashy and wild colors. None seem to blend in well with the rest of the dash. Any ideas?

Also if I replace my head unit, any interesting ideas for the lower cassette player din?

Preassembled Black Double Din LCD Frame with 7" mp3Car Sunlight Readable Lilliput 669GL-70NP/C/T

img_1294.jpg

97 civic coupe. Sorry. Its dark. I can post pics tomorrow. I have a din where a radio usually goes, and I have a din infront of my cup holders where cassettes go.

I have a Kenwood in my Accord that has adjustable colors. I had some flashy colors on there for a while, but now I have it set to just white, so it looks pretty nice. This might not be a bad option for you because you can blend the colors to get it to look close to the dash lighting.

As far as the second din, I'd just try and find a decently made dash install kit. I found a decent one at a local car audio shop, and spent about an hour trimming and adjusting it to get it to look just right. The dash kit is just an extra "pocket" in the dash. I find it kinda handy for membership cards and such.

EDIT: Mines the older version of this: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-dQdOwSiFvEk/p_113KDCX896/Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X896.html

Last edited:
Depending on the area you live in, and crime rate, you could keep your oem radio as a dummy radio, and put your aftermarket radio underneath with just the cd face plate as a cover... Making it look 100% oem.

civic_96_int_large.jpg

This is essentially what I'm rocking. Mine is dark grey interior and 5 speed, but you get the idea. The cassette player is behind the lid for the cup holders. Unfortunately the cup holder lid never stays closed. So idk how easy it would be to effectively use a head unit down there.

Sorry, feel I need to clarify, I have 2 single dins. One is where a radio would go, and one is down low behind my cup holder. I suppose I could use a double din and relocate my climate control down below, I suppose...

Go to the junkyard and find a console with climate controls from a 99-00 civic.
Its double din already.

Back