Del Sol Restore - Lots of questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

First i want to say that i have an original JDM del sol with B16A engine (RHD).

It's time to give it the love it deserves. Am going back to many stock parts as i want to keep it close to it's original design (except some common mods)

Before many years i changed the engine mounts with the Hasport ones. Now i want to go back to the stock engine mounts and as i don't have the part numbers for a RHD del sol, searching on ebay, amazon, google is a mess. I really can't find mounts stating that will fit my b16a del sol. and the ones i found stating that they fit the doch model indicate that they are for del sols and civics of 1996-over.They are also mostly made in USA and it is a bit confusing whether they can fit a RHD car. Any help will be really appriciated.

I will create a lot of threads for the Del Sol so stay tuned! you might be interested as well!

Awesome! I love the idea of keeping the sol alive and restoring it a bit.

JDM and USDM engines sit in the bay the exact same. The mounts for a usdm del sol vtec -- or the integra - will work.

Things that are different are usually firewall-related.
So, brake booster is on the opposite side, as are some things like battery or fuse box or wiring loom, steering rack input, etc as the passenger/driver side where it all goes in is backwards.

That said, i wouldn't sacrifice some good aftermarket parts for some 30-year old rubber for the sake of making it original, especially if you are keeping some other mods.

Looking forward to your content. Where are you from?

Awesome! I love the idea of keeping the sol alive and restoring it a bit.

JDM and USDM engines sit in the bay the exact same. The mounts for a usdm del sol vtec -- or the integra - will work.

Things that are different are usually firewall-related.
So, brake booster is on the opposite side, as are some things like battery or fuse box or wiring loom, steering rack input, etc as the passenger/driver side where it all goes in is backwards.

That said, i wouldn't sacrifice some good aftermarket parts for some 30-year old rubber for the sake of making it original, especially if you are keeping some other mods.

Looking forward to your content. Where are you from?
You are reply is really helpful. I stopped taking care of it through the years and now that is going to be a classic car i need to get things done.

i will agree with the 30 year old rubber but, my del sol has a lot of vibration mostly due to the hasport mounts. Del sols tend to have a rattling roof top, and mine is one of them. i feel noices from the roof, doors and even the dashboard. Hasport mounts made things worse for my del sol.

i noticed that the mechanic that installed those back in the day (i did a complete paint to the car with engine removal) removed the lower mounts and even the lower left mount and never installed them. it's been years now and i just noticed, could those 2 be the cause of the, extra vibration?? (i attached a photo showing the missing right lower bracket and mount)

If those mounts are not supposed to cause such problems then i would like to keep them, but i need to fix the vibration issues.

Also another question regarding the hasport mounts, as they are stronger what that means in a case of a crash? will they destroy the chassis?

I am from Cyprus. A small island. What about you?

Attachments

• IMG_20220415_094154.jpg
    IMG_20220415_094154.jpg
    439.6 KB · Views: 121
I owned a del sol for several years in the early 2000s. From the USA.

you can follow my story of an over-zealous build and ultimate part out here: project: pissedoffsol I retired my old screen name when i retired the car :D

with the hasport mounts, the helper mounts aren't necessary. The vibration your feeling is the solid rubber with less give. If you want to make it smoother, oem might not be a bad choice. If you go back to oem, you'll want all 5 mounts including the 2 helpers.

I don't think a crash matters much. The chassis itself will take the impact, not the mount unless it's real bad. frankly, if you're pushing the engine and stretching the mount, you're in a bad one and the car is gone anyway.

I owned a del sol for several years in the early 2000s. From the USA.

you can follow my story of an over-zealous build and ultimate part out here: project: pissedoffsol I retired my old screen name when i retired the car :D

with the hasport mounts, the helper mounts aren't necessary. The vibration your feeling is the solid rubber with less give. If you want to make it smoother, oem might not be a bad choice. If you go back to oem, you'll want all 5 mounts including the 2 helpers.

I don't think a crash matters much. The chassis itself will take the impact, not the mount unless it's real bad. frankly, if you're pushing the engine and stretching the mount, you're in a bad one and the car is gone anyway.
I will read the whole story! i already read about 10 pages! big project you had there!

Am not in to making a project like that and i own the del sol 15 years now :)

after your comments on the mounts, i found some more information regarding hasport mounts. people claimed that they called hasport about the vibration and they insisted that you should install the torque mounts to make the vibration less. but now am thinking were they talking about stock torque mounts or after market? 😉

I will keep the small project alive here but it's mostly a restoration with small mods, simple mods,not internal mods :)

Do you happen to remember what grade the mounts are? 62A is the "street" rating. This is what I have in my RSX. Minimal vibration but still helps with wheel hop. If your mounts have a higher durometer, they probably vibrate a lot.

I've heard good things about the Vibra Technics mounts in terms of the vibrations being very minimal.

Do you happen to remember what grade the mounts are? 62A is the "street" rating. This is what I have in my RSX. Minimal vibration but still helps with wheel hop. If your mounts have a higher durometer, they probably vibrate a lot.

I've heard good things about the Vibra Technics mounts in terms of the vibrations being very minimal.
i really don't know what grade they are. maybe they have it somewhere written once removed?

Back