Dell Laptop help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
so my cousin graduated from cortland(ny) this weekend, i went to his house for a party, ended up trying to fix his computers...

one - a compaq presario 5000
fried...
viruses or some fucked up shit, would not boot up...

re-installed windows 98 instead of win ME, and it works again now... still need to reinstall drivers and all that shit, but it boots now...

so he gave me his dell laptop that he bought for 400 prob 2 years ago

pentium 3, 12 gig, 120 mb i think...
etc

anyway, it boots from the HD and automatically prompts to a screen from win 98 setup, where you can enter the user name, and company
enter whatever you want and it says cannot open agreement, the computer will now shut down...
great...

start it in safe mode and it doesn;t do dick...

remove hard drive, boot from cd, get no where, no fixed drive...

boot from cd, try and put hard drive in and it turns the computer off...
yea, i know its bad...

i was told the A drive doesn't work...
and i don't know how to get into bios to get it to boot from the cdrom on startup...

anyone know?

ok, how about this one...

his compaq had win ME i think, it has the key code on the case for ME, but i do not have a ME cd...

is it legal to download the cd if you have legally purchased the product and had it installed at one time?

Saddly enough it is illegal to download ME (although i use my disk as a coaster)

And on my Inspiron 600m i think its F10 to get into the bios. If you still cant get it, press tab and it should tell you what button to hit for the BIOS.

tried delete and F1, and still not able to get into bios...

this laptop is kicking my ass...

anyone know if someone/anyone makes a jumper to hook up a laptop drive as a secondary HD on a PC?

gonna make a start up disk today on a WIN98 machine and see if i can get anywhere with the a drive, but i was told the A drive doesn't work...

it says that windows did not finish installing but i can't get into anything to format and reinstall unless i don't have the HD in...

f12 and f11 are the most common keys.

win 98 is not El torito (bootable) though.

well, if i pull the hard drive out of the dell it will boot up and ask if i want to boot from the cd or from the HD, i selest boot from cd and it goes into win98 setup, but then says there's no hard disk to install the OS to...

the 3 dell laptops we have here are F2, to access the bios, and you need to press the key before the bios posts

howbout whenever your first turn the computer on, you run your fingers over the F keys making sure to hit delete and esc on the way

well, got the answer

went to see my cousin and got the books for the laptop

when the dell screen comes up you press f2 to enter bios setup, made it boot from the cdrom and now am running win82 second edition

wooo hooo, now i think i need to get a god damn restore cd from dell cause i'm lacking all the drivers...

i could get them and install them one at a time but quick restore(compaq) is so much easier, see compaq thread...

Back