desperate head swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

PhyRe

so as most of u dont care i did a head swap recently and everything went well did tb/wp new hg and intake gasket basic tune up oil plugs filter that jazz. now it turns out the block is no good not holding comp.

so the new idea is to do a full motor swap but after machine work and parts theres no $ in the bank. so im stuck using parts i have layin around which is where my ? comes from.
i have a z6 block and an a6 head. i did a search but found nothing but mini me and lsv type ?s and posts. will this combo bolt up and run? is there any reason this will not work. blocked oil pasages, pistons hitting valves, ecu issues anything?
most of u will say why do that? thats stupid, and things of this nature but it is out of desperation that i am even thnkin of this. its getting to damn cold to ride my scooter ne more and i gotta do something thanks and let me kno if any one has had experiance

It should work. The biggest issue is getting the right obd sensors on the head/block to match that of your ecu/etc.

what sensors are on the head its self? arnt they just on the IM? right now the head is an obd1 88 crx si A6. obd1 dizzy IM TB. ina n obd1 car. runs but runs like shit cuz of low comp in the block.

so no issues with oil blockage or ne things like that?

the main difference between a6 and z6 blocks is the oil jet you remove to put on a vtec head.
a6 has one, z6 does not.
and you will want a td41u (d15b7) distributor not the td42u (d16z6) for the a6 head.
also a6 head on z6 block with z6 pistons will have a pretty low c/r
for these reasons you might just want to check your local craigslist for a z6 head.

Last edited:
agreed on doing things the right way. but the right way costs money i dont have. my a6 head is fresh from the machine shop and has about an hour of idle time and all other cash would be going to get a new hg and studs(may be cheap and reuse as they were only put together and never really run) z6 has just over 100k and has been sitting for a lil while.
now this oil jet that the a6 needs stock will not effect it if it is not there?
thanks for all the help

Back