Diesel, Yes? No? Maybe So...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B16RacerN2NR

Working Hard
VIP
OK guys, I was on the verge of saving up to get an STi but plans have changed, again... It was either get an STi or buy a truck and get some quads and some jet ski's. Well me and the wifey talked it over and we are gonna go with option 2. It's time for the 3 of us (me, her, and my son) to get into something we can all do together.

Now on to the topic... I want to know if anyone has/had a diesel truck before. not a big ass 18 wheeler lol i'm talking about something along the lines of an f-250 diesel. What kind of gas mileage do the diesels get? i can't find anything on the net. If they still get the same mileage as the regular v8 trucks then i see no point in getting a diesel. I know the diesels are stronger, ect... but i'll only be pulling jet ski's at the most so a diesel isn't a must but I would get a diesel if the mileage is a lot better.

So give me what ever info you got:)

F-250's aren't the horrible fuel guzzles that you might think, my dad has one and it gets 15-16 mpg in the city and a little over 20 on the highway (depends if he is pulling the big boat or not). It probably would be a bit of overkill for a daily driver and jet skis and they can be a pain to park sometimes if you have the extended cab and bed.

Diesels are awesome, but overkill for jet skis, just like ^^^said. I see no reason why it would take 500 ft/lbs of torque to pull a couple jet skis. I still like them, though. If I had a chance I would get one. Nothing is better than watching a dually roast the tires at the track and gas milage is quite good for the amount of power they produce.

I found an awesome video of a cummins wastegate about a week ago...best sound ever. I'll see if I can find it again.

Friends father had a cummings diesel, he towed a 20-30 foot malibu boat and it felt like he was towing a motorcycle.

Another guy i know just bought a chevy turbo diesel, thing is piiimmmppp sounds like a fucking school bus on roids. You can make A LOT of power with a diesel for realllll cheap. how does 8-900 ft/lbs for about $2000?

My recomendation as to having worked on both the cummins and the powerstroke. Go with the cummins! Id rather be cummin than strokin! :D It has basically the same amount of usable power and is 10x more reliable. Also if youve ever tried putting a serpetine belt on the new 6liter powerstroke:mad: . I have a multiple customers that own cummin P/U's quite a few of them have 200k+ and still running strong. I have on customer that delivers rvs across the country he has two cummins P/U's one has 300k, one has 500k to this date the only thing ive done to either truck is a water pump, fuel pump and radiator(when he hit a deer).

The cummins only has one major known problem. They have two fuel pumps, a lift pump to take the fuel to the motor and an injection pump. From about 98 up they have had a slight problem with the lift pump going bad and starving the injector pump for fuel which leads to the injector pump being full of air=bad thing. Bye-bye injector pump. Depending on the labor rate in your area this can cost a good bit, 2500 out the door from the shop i work in and our labor rate is probably half your average. But Dodge and a few other companies make an aftermarket fuel pressure monitoring system that costs about 150 bucks and takes maybe an hour and a half to install( If you can wire up a cd player you can do this). So if your lift pump starts going bad you know it, immeadiatley quit driving and then you end up paying bout 350 bucks for a redesigned lift pump system instead of 2500 for lift pump and injector pump.

As for problems with the powerstroke, well i dont have enough room on this page to post them all. They are junk, generally if you get 100k out of one you are lucky. The fords also have a problem with eating transmissions, lots of them.

thanks for the info bert.

Well I know the diesel is over kill for some jet ski's. I was just considering a diesel because i figured they got better gas mileage then the regular v8's.

my boss has an f-250 and he said he gets 13 miles to the gallon weather he's towing his 23 foot boat or not.

any gas mileage numbers for the diesels??? that would help me a lot...i can't find any on the net.

It all equals out. If you do heavy duty towing then go with the diesel. Diesels consume less fuel but diesel fuel costs more. So what the hell ?

One thing I have to say about the Diesels is that they are VERY easy to get power gains out of (Of course at the expense of economy)

But to make you feel better, the STi gets 20 mpg down hill.

The ford 7.3 liter diesel wasn't that bad...I just took a class on them. The 6.0 is a piece of crap, but the new 6.4 sequential turbo may save the powerstroke line. This engine is unbelievably reliable and burns extremely clean. Plus close to 600 ft/lbs of torque stock is nice.

You can buy chips/programs from companies like banks that have different settings including an economy setting.

I tried searching and im getting numbers anywhere from 12-20, but not specified to in town or highway

diesl VS gas motor is like $6-8k option on most trucks.

currently in my town, diesel is about on price with 87 octane gas.

so, if it gets 5 more mpg than gas, and averaging 200 miles a week

so, X * 5 = 8000

so it takes 1600 gallons of fuel before TCO is less.
1600 x 20mpg = 32,000

so, if you plan to own the truck more than 3 years/36,000, the extra cost is worth it.

It's the price of premium in my area... $3.05 this week (Premium is $3.15-3.20)

Diesel never really made sense to me (price). It is technically less refined than gasoline, yet costs as much or more than regular unleaded.

They charge the maximum amount that people are willing to pay for it while still maintaning a profitable sales volume. Econ. 101

yes...I see the economics behind it, but I just don't get the logic.

Back