Disk Brake Conversion

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eyesonlybob

ok, im gettin ready to convert my drums to disks on my 5th gen coupe dx

im getting the following parts from sohfast.com:

rear trailing arms w/ hub and spindle
calipers
rotors
and brake cables

all from a 94 integra

first question: am i swaping out the brake lines also, or just the e-brake cables?

2: all i am replacing is the integra trailing arm therefore im utilizing the stock civic upper and lower arms as well as the compensator arm right? will removing the stock civic trailing arm from the compensator arm jack my toe?

3. do i need to get an alignment after this?

4. when your car is aligned the computer tells the mechanic what to set it to. these settings are assuming the car is at stock height. since my car is lowered are the specs to get it aligned different? if so how do i get it aligned with it lowered?

5: are those all the parts that i need?

6: do i need to swap the master cylinder and proportioning valve? im thinkin i should do it because the stock one is for 2 disk and 2 drum but with 4 disk i should get the integra master cylinder, but what about the proportioning valve? whats involved in swaping the two?

Originally posted by eyesonlybob@Feb 16 2003, 05:16 PM
ok, im gettin ready to convert my drums to disks on my 5th gen coupe dx

im getting the following parts from sohfast.com:

rear trailing arms w/ hub and spindle
calipers
rotors
and brake cables

all from a 94 integra

first question: am i swaping out the brake lines also, or just the e-brake cables?

2: all i am replacing is the integra trailing arm therefore im utilizing the stock civic upper and lower arms as well as the compensator arm right? will removing the stock civic trailing arm from the compensator arm jack my toe?

3. do i need to get an alignment after this?

4. when your car is aligned the computer tells the mechanic what to set it to. these settings are assuming the car is at stock height. since my car is lowered are the specs to get it aligned different? if so how do i get it aligned with it lowered?

5: are those all the parts that i need?

6: do i need to swap the master cylinder and proportioning valve? im thinkin i should do it because the stock one is for 2 disk and 2 drum but with 4 disk i should get the integra master cylinder, but what about the proportioning valve? whats involved in swaping the two?

1.) Dont need to do the brake lines, however i switched to steel braided when i did mine. yes you do replace the e-brake cables.

2.) yes your toe will be jacked, go get it realigned as soon as you can.

3.) yes :)

4.) no, it will align correctly.

5.) yes, those are all the parts you need, very easy swap to do. check your pads and rotors before putting them on. also, if your rear camber is off at all, this would be a good time to fix it with the shim method, do a search on google on how to do it.

6.) i did not swap my master cylinder or prop vlave, it works just fine, i figured it was too much work than its worth, i have a prop valve from an integra in my garage, maybe someday i'll put it on.

jease man, your always helpin me, thanks

now, ill be following my civic helms to disassemble the calipers etc...will it be different than the integra ones?

also, i need to take out the abs unit dont i?

hehe, no problem man, you just happen to be doing stuff i've been through :)

the integra ones are no different than what would be covered in your helms.

i am not sure about the abs, these are abs brakes you got? or do you have abs?

ah, ok, then ya do it :) i got mine from a jdm eg that had rear disk, so my swap didn't have that.

You should replace the prop valve, if you don't the rears will lock up befre the fronts when you brake hard. You would have a better feel on the pedal if you put on SS lines while you did the swap and upgraded to the 7/8 MC insead of your 13/16 ( it bolts right on to your Booster) for $40.

Originally posted by solblu@Feb 20 2003, 08:19 PM
You should replace the prop valve, if you don't the rears will lock up befre the fronts when you brake hard. You would have a better feel on the pedal if you put on SS lines while you did the swap and upgraded to the 7/8 MC insead of your 13/16 ( it bolts right on to your Booster) for $40.

Replacing the proportioning valve isn't really necessary- I didn't, and it's very rare that the rears lock up before the fronts. It's only happened to me a few times, and that was on wet pavement.

Also, just a note- you might be able to get the master cylinder and proportioning valve for $40, but the SS lines typically cost about $100 a set. The Integra master cylinder also will NOT bolt to his stock booster. The bolt patterns are different. You have to replace the booster at the same time. There is one exception... but not with Integra parts into a 5G Civic.

in relpacing the master cylinder, which i think im gonna go ahead and do, the brake lines dont match up right? and arent the thread sizes different? how do i get around that?

go to a junkyard cut off the peice you need then cut your tube put the new peice on and reflare it

Back