distributor question (ignition too)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ok i've tried three dist. two did the same thing one broke. (like the teeth that engage the cam snapped.. idk how. i blame poor fit or me being a jack ass) but neither had any spark when i tested them but there was power going to the dist. and it does spin when the engine is cranking but no spark so no start. so my question is this.. is it jus bad luck of trying two bad dist. or is there something else wrong thats f*in em up...

also are main relays obd specific my guess is yes but i figured i ask anyway

not sure about the main relays but about the dizzys

are you trying used ones?
honda dist's go bad, its what they do
if you're getting them from a junk yard they are prob no good

you know the dist can only go in the cam one way right?
so if you're getting it in there and then trying to use the bolts to tighten it the rest of the way you'll break em
it should sit flush without too much force, you just need to get past the oring/oil seal on the dizzy shaft

the one that broke was a new one from advance auto. but i figured i was installed it wrong so i replaced the teeth from another dist. but it still fit the same way... two flush against the head and the one by the firewall had a 1/2in gap. so i returned it and assumed advance auto is garbage. im looking to see if i can get one that i know works, but if i cant im goin to go to acura. I jus wanna make sure before i drop an assload of loot for OEM that it will fix it

the one that broke was a new one from advance auto. but i figured i was installed it wrong so i replaced the teeth from another dist. but it still fit the same way... two flush against the head and the one by the firewall had a 1/2in gap.
yup, sounds like you had it in wrong
it will only go in one way

they are usually remans anyway

well thats what i figured at first but i took the dist back out and spun the teeth 180 and it fit worse. but who know maybe it was my fault. oh well i guess i'll try another one.

also is there a way to inspect the dist. visually or is the only way to know if its good is to put it in and see?

Last edited:
Tried another distributor and a main relay and another ecu still no spark anyone have any ideas???

cause i sure as hell dont

the car is a teg so its already mpfi the motor has been out but not swapped i havent gotten a chance to do any upgrades except basic stuff

ok, well what were you doing right before you had this problem?
i need some more info to help you out here...

did you just drop the motor back in and you've got no spark?
or it just died one day?

the motor was in and runnin i put about 100mi on it then one time it didnt start similar to the symptoms of a bad relay didnt start doing the day but then at night it started up fine. then it didnt happen for about two weeks then it happend again. but a few days before i noticed a slight grinding noise from the dist. so i figured when it wasnt startin this time it was the dist. so i replaced it with one i had but with no luck. so i ordered a new one but the same thing happend. then i gave up for a little while until i saw one for sale on here i bought that and a main relay new from acura installed em and still nothing. the only thing left i can thing that mest things up are my friend knocked a wrench off my fender into my battery connecting positive and negitive and makin sparks but i didnt know what that would effect so i checked all my fuses and changed the ecu with a spare i had soo....

i have put four different dist. on

how do you check it tho? i guess at this point anything is worth a shot

Back