Distrubutor Wiring Headache!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B16RacerN2NR

Working Hard
VIP
ok...here's the deal...i have an Sir2 motor in an 89 civic and i was using a pr3 ecu so i changed out the distributor to an obd-0 one so it would corrisponde with the ecu...now problem is this...what do i do now so the wire harness side for the distributor will plug in? as you know the Sir2 has grey square plugs and the new distributor (SiR) has white round plugs. Do i cut the obd-1 plugs off the distributor and put it on the obd-0 distributor? will that even work? or do i change the plugs on the harness side to obd-0 plugs?? anyone who's done this please help me...i have no idea where to find a wire harness that will work due to me being out here in lancaster/palmdale and we have really gay junk yards!!! anyone know what should i do/can do and what would be the easiest way to do this!!!!!???? thanks any info would help here!!

You can pull the pins out of the plug and put them in the one you want to use, for either side of the plug.

Get professional mechanical help please... I had burnt ECUs before by tapping wrong wires/pins on distributor/wireharness.. even burnt a GReddy e-mange before by similar mistakes(wrong ignition layout).. take care..

Originally posted by B16RacerN2NR@Mar 14 2003, 06:00 AM
ok...here's the deal...i have an Sir2 motor in an 89 civic and i was using a pr3 ecu so i changed out the distributor to an obd-0 one so it would corrisponde with the ecu...now problem is this...what do i do now so the wire harness side for the distributor will plug in? as you know the Sir2 has grey square plugs and the new distributor (SiR) has white round plugs. Do i cut the obd-1 plugs off the distributor and put it on the obd-0 distributor? will that even work? or do i change the plugs on the harness side to obd-0 plugs?? anyone who's done this please help me...i have no idea where to find a wire harness that will work due to me being out here in lancaster/palmdale and we have really gay junk yards!!! anyone know what should i do/can do and what would be the easiest way to do this!!!!!???? thanks any info would help here!!

you will have to convert your 89 civic harness to fit your sir2 motor.

is it an Si, or Dx type of civic?
if dx, you will have to use a Si distributor, 1 wire o2 sensor (2 of them), you should really chip that ecu
or, send me some email and we will talk about it some more

anyways. if you are gonna use an Si obd0 distributor, get BOTH plugs.
the sir 2 distributor wire colors are the same as the Si wire colors with the exception of the yel/grn wire which is your ignitor wire, on the Si (obd0) plug it would be a white wire. the "odd"on.. if you look at any dx or si distrubtor wiring harness, you will notice that the wires are grouped together in pairs.. kinda like this:

x x x x
x x x - si

x x x
x x = dx

the odd one is the 3rd wire (or 4th) on the top side
if you mix the wires up with the org and wht pair, the car will not start. just swap those out

good luck

Originally posted by solblu@Mar 14 2003, 09:53 PM
You can pull the pins out of the plug and put them in the one you want to use, for either side of the plug.

that's what I was planning on doing but I wasn't sure if that would work or not...thanks...and as for ekhatch goes...thanks for your reply but I only kinda understood it...I hate wiring so i hardly ever mess with it :D ...also, my car is a dx...why would that make a difference even if it was an Si since i have to use a b16 distributor anyways? anyone else have an idea about my situation?

Well if it was an Si it would alrady have all the wiring you need. As a DX you still need to add 2 wires for the distributor and run them to the ECU. You have the B16 harness I take it, so just take all the loom off of it and remove the wires from both plugs. then pull the loom off your DX harness and add them. Do the same with the extra injector wires and add the VEC wires. you shouldn't have to cut any wires if you just remove the pins and replace the wires in your DX harness.
The pins are really easy to remove. Don't try to force them. You'll need some little flat head screwdrivers, like eyeglass ones. They are easier than ECU pins.

Originally posted by solblu@Mar 17 2003, 12:07 PM
Well if it was an Si it would alrady have all the wiring you need. As a DX you still need to add 2 wires for the distributor and run them to the ECU. You have the B16 harness I take it, so just take all the loom off of it and remove the wires from both plugs. then pull the loom off your DX harness and add them. Do the same with the extra injector wires and add the VEC wires. you shouldn't have to cut any wires if you just remove the pins and replace the wires in your DX harness.
The pins are really easy to remove. Don't try to force them. You'll need some little flat head screwdrivers, like eyeglass ones. They are easier than ECU pins.

well...i really don't know much about the wiring itself...my friend did it for me and we tried to use the obd-1 so i wouldn't have to get an obd-0 one...turns out i have to anyways so now my wire harness side has the grey plugs and the obd-0 distributor has he round white ones as you know. so help me from here please...where do i go from here?? thanks

Back