Does anyone know how to SHAvE anything

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

EG8Demon

20"s ON MY HONDA
I don't know if anyone has their doors shaved and trunk shaved but if they do I would love for them to help me and give me some advice of how to do it myself.

The term 'Shave' is kind of misleading..

The general idea is to remove the part, and fill in that area as if it was never there to begin with.

A door handle for instance. You would remove the handle, weld in a piece of sheet metal over that spot, and smooth it out with some body filler, and repaint.

I have never done this myself, so I am not real sure what kind of options there are for door opening mechanizms.. be it an electric switch triggered by a remote, or a hidden button somewhere.

you could also use fiberglass rather than welding.. theres other techniques too.

Depending on where you live, how pissy the local law enforcement are, and whether or not your vehicle is registered as a show vehicle; you may not want to go through with it

PROS:
1)Security(harder to pick the locks)
2)Smooth and Clean
3)Open your doors at the Touch of a Button(with the help of a
solenoid and a spring)

CONS:
1)Costs lots to have done
2)Costs lots to reverse if your car is ticketed for inspection by the Dept. of Trans.
3)If your battery dies you would most likely have to
cut your hood release to get to the battery
4)If you get in a serious crash they can't use the door to get you out
and they'll prolly bill you for the us of the Jaws of Life
5)thieves will ultimately smash your window because there's no replaceable
tumbler to jam a flatblade scredriver into
6)Did I mention it costs alot to reverse?

Even so, to properly "shave" your door handles you'll need the following items:

-sheet metal to weld over the hole where your handle comes out of
-a 50lb solenoid to activate the rod
-possibly a fabricated pulley system (most door solenoids are single-direction
-a remote keyless entry system or alarm system
-a heavy duty spring pin assembly (this goes at the bottom corner of your door)
-some welding and bodywork skills or a lot of money

Roughly this is how you do it:

-Remove the door panel
-Remover the door handle assembly
-Study closely how the relase rod moves
-Position the solenoid so it has the straightest possible line to the rod
-You may have to cut inside door metal
-Drill a hole for the spring pin in the door jamb corner
-Attach the cable to the solenoid and rod with provided clamps
-Use a 12v drill battery from inside your car to test the function
-Once that works right, run the wires from the solenoid in through the boot
-Connect the 2 wires to the output relay of
the unlock function of your alarm or keyless
Wrap it all up.... make sure you solder and shrink wrap all electrical connections
(this gives your work the best chance for remaining reliable)

Trust me, many people have bashed their heads against the wall and consequently have dents in their foreheads now because of a faulty electrical connection that they should have done right the first time ........

Besides if you're not confident in your 12v abilities, pay someone PROFESSIONAL to do it..... I say this because if the stuff craps out while you're out on a date... at least you can tell her to bitch at someone else.....
And having been in a shop where the other guy did shoddy work, let me tell you it's not fun when someone comes back with a defective bit of work

.... even less fun when their GIRL yells at you!!!!!:mellow: :(

So the moral of this story is as always:

"DO IT RIGHT OR PAY SOMEONE ELSE TO DO IT"^_^
(Smell that?... it smells kind of Sticky... but not quite yet)

You can wire 2 wires from the battery into your bumper like some cop cars have so they can give jumps to people...

that solves ur battery going dead problem

Splendid!.... perhaps along with that you might also be good enough to leave them detailed instruction and a note saying, "Please Short Out My Alarm"
:doh2:

Last edited:
Splendid!.... perhaps along with that you might also be good enough to leave them detailed instruction and a note saying, "Please Short Out My Alarm"
:doh2:
Yeah no shit.

Maybe you should just put your battery in a box on top of your mirror and fill the box with water, then take a wrench and touch both terminals!
Problem Solved

I've done it to mine. I have only shaved two doors so far. Passengers in the front and Drivers in the back. I'm doing tons of work to it on a budget of nothing, so it takes time.

First thing you need to take into account. Take cardboard and trace out your empty space where the door handle was - then make sure you take a hammer and dolly to knock the shape of the door into it - otherwise you will be using tons of fiberglass and body filler over top of it. I know this from personal experience.

When you have it welded you need to do smal tack welds all around.
Do NOT use body filler right over top of it - use fiberglass filler - then use plastic body filler. Fiberglass filler, unlike plastic filler, is waterproof.
You may also want to fabricate a small metal piece of metal to weld to the door inside for the solenoid to bolt up to so that it will be hidden from the door shell, and not touch the window, all while having a straight shot from the soloenoid to the door latch.

I'll take some pics tomorrow and show you my super slow progress on mine so far if you'd like. Good luck - it is not that expensive if you do it yourself - best bet is do the body work yourself, then pay someone else to wire it up to your alarm - that's what I'm doing. My total cost will be the $150 i paid for the kit, and $40 for the guy that installed my alarm that owns a shop up the street to wire my front two solenoids to seperate alarm channels.

Good luck man.

It looks nice shaved but too much of a hassle if anything goes wrong, I.e the solenoids goes out, you loose your keys, battery dies. I was going to do this as well, already bought the kit and installed them but haven't taken out my handles and finally decided i'm not shaving them again but I'll keep the poppers in case I do lambo my doors. However I still wanna shave my trunk, just cause I'm dropping the liscense plate down to the bumper and wanna get rid of the spot in the trunk. All the hoods I've seen for sale though are completelt shaved to where they removed the tail lights that are on the trunk but I wanna keep mine

they sell a module that prevents a battery from draining. Or use a second small battery on an isolator. Or leave the trunk, or hatch on a key. Also a 15lb will work on a honda door.

It looks nice shaved but too much of a hassle if anything goes wrong, I.e the solenoids goes out, you loose your keys, battery dies. I was going to do this as well, already bought the kit and installed them but haven't taken out my handles and finally decided i'm not shaving them again but I'll keep the poppers in case I do lambo my doors. However I still wanna shave my trunk, just cause I'm dropping the liscense plate down to the bumper and wanna get rid of the spot in the trunk. All the hoods I've seen for sale though are completelt shaved to where they removed the tail lights that are on the trunk but I wanna keep mine

I'm gonna shave mine. All you do is take the licensce plate out, grind around the area in the middle of that trunk. Weld it up, and then use body filler over it. After that, take a shoe box, line it with saran wrap, lay out fiberglass mat to take on the shape of the pocket you'll need in the bumper to hold the licensce plate (if this is an aftermarket fiberglass bumper like mine), then cut out the area with an air chisel and attack and mold the mold you made in the shoebox. Attach your licensce plate to that and you're all done. Good luck. I'm getting ready to do the same on my Accord.

Back