Double bend short shifter fitment...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

transpar_nt

I've got a 92 Civic LX and will soon be swapping a b18a1 in place of the D15. I want to get a double bend short shifter, but don't know which to get. Do I need one for a '90-'91 Integra or for a '92-'95 Civic? Also, does anyone have any comments on which brand to get? Any positive or negative experiences? Does it even matter? Thanks in advance.

Joe.

92-95 civic will work fine. I'd suggest getting a skunk2.

nevermind everyone. it turns out that the skunk2 shifters for the 'teg and the civic have the exact same part number. i guess that means it doesn't matter... thanx for the replies.

Joe

Make sure, I know that some gens the ball that it swivels on is smaller, so it won't fit, but I am pretty sure that is with the older ones.

Just whatever you do, dont get a unit with the ball-bearing design on a central pivot point....unless you live in Cali. If you live anywhere with normal weather, these shifters will last you 6 months, tops....doesn't matter if it's an APC for $20, or an Edlebrock for $190, like mine that just bit the big one.

The bearings they use are an open design, meaning that over time, dirt, salt, ect... get into those bearings and seize them. When you shift, it feels like there is sand in your shifter....that's because there probably is. Nothing much you can do about it either...other than replace the bearings, or clean them out, reassemble them and cover them in white lithium grease...until a few months down the road it does it again.

So my advice, if you live in Cali or Texas or whatever southern state, go get whatever you want...it'll last. If you live in the North, then Short shifters, for the most part, are for the birds.

I'd say to go with the stock shifter from a GSR. It has one bend and is pretty cool for a stock shifter.

Originally posted by adnoh@May 17 2005, 10:34 AM
Just whatever you do, dont get a unit with the ball-bearing design on a central pivot point....unless you live in Cali. If you live anywhere with normal weather, these shifters will last you 6 months, tops....doesn't matter if it's an APC for $20, or an Edlebrock for $190, like mine that just bit the big one.

The bearings they use are an open design, meaning that over time, dirt, salt, ect... get into those bearings and seize them. When you shift, it feels like there is sand in your shifter....that's because there probably is. Nothing much you can do about it either...other than replace the bearings, or clean them out, reassemble them and cover them in white lithium grease...until a few months down the road it does it again.

So my advice, if you live in Cali or Texas or whatever southern state, go get whatever you want...it'll last. If you live in the North, then Short shifters, for the most part, are for the birds.

I'd say to go with the stock shifter from a GSR. It has one bend and is pretty cool for a stock shifter.
[post=500460]Quoted post[/post]​

Skunk2 uses a sealed bearing.

Back