dvd player took a crap...help anyone?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

well after much crap from BB on using mrs. taco's card i finally got arounf the system. :lol:

I placed the order online and entered in the system that I was gonna pick it up.
to my suprise I saved 200 boners just by ordering online!

I decided on the Sony unit and so far from a quick hook up last night the sound quality for the price is great. the blue-ray player is very similar to my PS3 so that was a cool thing to navigate and it loads very quick.

only thing I dislike so far is that the subwoofer output is not like normal wiring :(
It's RCA jack so i don't know how I'm gonna hook up my sub now.....

My subwoofer is a single jack too. I had a real thick single RCA and hooked it up to the output.

But it sounds like your HTIB kit had regular speaker wires off the sub. They sell converters from speaker wire to RCA's (did it on a car amp install long long ago) and I'm worried a little b/c its a single RCA line...right?

You may find buying a new sub to be an easier/quicker/cleaner fix.

Banana plugs....those are for quick disconnects for speaker inputs that tighten and loosen (like to the back of the receiver). Are you trying to see if it would work the Sub? I would think exposed RCA line would be the same :shrug2:

Pretty sure all the subs you'll find are hooked up via one RCA. HTIB FTL

damn.
I thought so too but didn't get any sound. :(

I'll experiment with another pair I have laying around

well after much crap from BB on using mrs. taco's card i finally got arounf the system. :lol:

I placed the order online and entered in the system that I was gonna pick it up.
to my suprise I saved 200 boners just by ordering online!

I decided on the Sony unit and so far from a quick hook up last night the sound quality for the price is great. the blue-ray player is very similar to my PS3 so that was a cool thing to navigate and it loads very quick.

only thing I dislike so far is that the subwoofer output is not like normal wiring :(
It's RCA jack so i don't know how I'm gonna hook up my sub now.....

Your receiver should have a LFE jack on the back.

I ended up getting the 820 model (level up)
what's the LFE?

I was looking for speaker lead inputs for my sub and instructions only show RCA terminals
in the center to the left of the speaker inputs. that's all i see.
S196-1288-v03-ec.jpg

I can't really see in that picture, but it looks like on the bottom, to the right of the RCA jacks, and to the left of the speakers inputs, should say subwoofer under it.

werd.. the 2 black plugs.. looks like it says subwoofer right there

*edit.. nevermind Taco.. you know that already

For only $1.23 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 1 PAIR OF High-Quality Copper Speaker Banana Plugs - Closed Screw Type [JX-74043] | Banana Plugs

Best place to get banana plugs. And Taco, i think your old sub got power from the receiver and the new receiver only works with self powered subs. You can tell if your sub is self powered if it has a separate ac cord to plug in. You have a few options:

1) Cheapest, non ideal - connect the sub to another speaker terminal or run it parallel to one of the existing one.

2) Good option at good price ($20-$50) - get a separate power amp to power the old sub. Like so:
Amazon.com: Pyle Home PCA2 80-Watt Stereo Mini Power Amplifier: Electronics

3) Ideal, but most expensive ($100+) - get a separate self powered sub.
Newegg.com - Polk Audio PSW Series PSW10 Black 10-inch Powered Subwoofer Each

I ended up getting the 820 model (level up)
what's the LFE?

Its the low frequency channel that's usually reserved for the sub, however modern receivers have done all the processing already and passes the signal out via the RCA jack.

And cool, I didnt notice you could hook up 2 subs (1 each for the RCA). My recommendations still stand.

I'd recommend Covetteguy's before endlesszeal's subs, no offense endless, but I don't like Polk :). Low end is something that a lot of people misunderstand, and are happy with something that just goes boom, but there's a LOT more to it for true low end in movies. Check out this sub $300 sub thread ...List of budget subwoofers ($300 and less) - AVS Forum

Last edited:
I'll be shopping for one today i guess. not ghetto rigging it since I spent the money.
considering I saved about $200 buyingonline i guess i can search for a sub today. :lol:

both corvetteguy's and endlesszeal's subs will be far superior than what I have. I live in a double wide so both will slam in my small living room

I'll be shopping for one today i guess. not ghetto rigging it since I spent the money.
considering I saved about $200 buyingonline i guess i can search for a sub today. :lol:

both corvetteguy's and endlesszeal's subs will be far superior than what I have. I live in a double wide so both will slam in my small living room

True, but you want to find one that will hit those sub 30Hz preferably in the low 20's. Even at lower volumes you'll hear, or more to the point, feel the difference. Set the crossover on/for your sub, or receiver to about 5-10Hz above your main speakers lowest frequency.

Honestly, and don't get me wrong, Klipsch obviously makes great speakers...but they are way over priced.

I'm not sure if you ever saw my thread on my surround sound. I went to these guys:

Authorized Klipsch Dealer & Polk Audio Dealer. Home Theater Systems, In Wall Speakers, Headphones Call 800-691-6914.

With the intention of buying Klipsch, the guy told me about the BIC Acoutech Cinema 6 Series and said they were half as much and sound just as good. if i didn't like them, he'd pay to ship them back and sell me the Klipsch for twice as much.

Search BIC America you won't find any negative reviews

The Ht100 sub is plently of sub, trust me.. lol

my dilemma is that I have to use one of the credit cards and the only one available is the BB one since I havent used it in years and had a 0 balance.
18 free months same as cash and with 100 bucks or so a month I'll have it paid off in no time unless I get another good bonus and pay it off in 3 months or so.

plus now that my name is on it i can use it to build more credit.
the normal CC is for emergency's *cough SUbaru* and I've got enough on that to pay it off with my next paycheck.

Debit card is out of the question for now too.

sooooo I guess the borrowed time is what is most important right now.
I just ordered it and we shall see how it performs when it arrives.

I'll be posting up the setup and may need some of you guy's input on tuning since the instruction are in a foreign language to me :lol:

my mobile home should be quaking!

Back