Dynamat Removal

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

5thGenLuvin

Alot of people on other sites are saying that Dynamat, perticularily the Xtreme is IMPOSSIBLE to remove... not hard, "impossible". It's not, it's just a serious pain in the ass.

Threw alot of trial and error, 3 boxes of bandaids, and multiple solvents I think I have a gameplan.

The simplest way to remove Dynamat is to use HEAT, dry icing it will only cause it to turn hard and chip of in small amounts. Heating the Dynamat does make it slightly sticky and gooey, but it works if you do it right.

Simply heat the Dynamat until it's real nice and warm with a heat gun or conventional hair dryer. Peel up a corner with a puddy knife or exacto knife and while WEARING GLOVES and/or using pliers grip the tin and tar underneath together and yank it hard. If you try to coax it out by tugging slowly the tar will get time to stretch and usually leave alot of access, tearing it fast breaks the adhesion between the carbody and tar before the tar has time to stretch and can come off quite nice. Trim leftovers with a puddy knife or exacto knife.

You should now have alot of Dynamat out and a relevently low amount of residue left in the trunk itself. Ball up a decent size wad of tar, about the size of a golf ball, and using very light heat, or none on a warm day stick the tar ball to the residue and pull it away quickly. On large sections of residue work from edges, the key is to get the adhesion to break and manipulate it when it does.

This should leave you with a very clear surface, most likely acceptable to re-lay carpet or interior panelling over, but in the case of doing this for interior colour changing(painting the entire inside unibody) make sure to use a body shop grade tar/grease remover ( commonly refered to as 500) or your paint will fisheye, mottle, or just chip of with ease. WD-40 also works well for getting any other small spots of the tar, but because of it's greasy texture make SURE you clean it properly afterwards if you intent to paint the surface.

I hope this helps some people that are removing Dynamat, I have seen alot of threads about it and noone seems to actually have a solid answer. I am not saying that this is the fastest way, but with limited resources aside from time, it DOES work. A task like this is never easy, infact, had I not been in a good state of mind(from ordering my new racing seats that will be here on the 7th) I would most likely lost my mind in the process.

Back