Easiest DOHC vtec swap for 1995 civic dx hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Shingo Shouji

I have an old 1995 civic dx hatch, but it doesn't make much power, Ive heard sohc swaps are pretty easy, but that dohc is better, but I don't know much about hondas, so I thought id ask a forum. What dohc vtec engine would be the easiest to swap into my dx? How would I go about doing it? What guides should I look at, what forums should I read through, what youtube videos to watch, etc? Im not looking for a ton of power, just ease of install and enough power that I can really notice the difference from the stock one.

The b16a sir2 (obd1) or a b16a3 from a del sol (obd1) are your easiest options. You'll need to wire in vtec, vtec pressure, and that's about it if you go with a chipped p28 (d16z6's ecu) with a p30-like program (the b16 usdm ecu). If you use a p30, you'll also need to wire in the knock sensor.

The next harder up is the gsr b18c1, again from 94-95 only. If you go outside of your obd, things get a bit harder. With this engine, you'll need to wire up the IAB secondaries on the runners for theintake manifold, if you use the p72 ecu. You can choose to keep the chipped p28 with a p72 program on it like before, but you'll also want to sawp out the intake manfold for an aftermarket one that doesn't have the runners, or you'll rob a lot of power.

have a read here for more details on wiring:

and more details on requirements here:

The b16a sir2 (obd1) or a b16a3 from a del sol (obd1) are your easiest options. You'll need to wire in vtec, vtec pressure, and that's about it if you go with a chipped p28 (d16z6's ecu) with a p30-like program (the b16 usdm ecu). If you use a p30, you'll also need to wire in the knock sensor.

The next harder up is the gsr b18c1, again from 94-95 only. If you go outside of your obd, things get a bit harder. With this engine, you'll need to wire up the IAB secondaries on the runners for theintake manifold, if you use the p72 ecu. You can choose to keep the chipped p28 with a p72 program on it like before, but you'll also want to sawp out the intake manfold for an aftermarket one that doesn't have the runners, or you'll rob a lot of power.

Thank you! this is really helpful! I think I will go with the b16a swap! I still need to look into it more, as I have never worked with v-tec before, but I think the end result will be cool.

quick question tho, what ecu should i use for the b16a?

p30 is the correct one for the usdm b16 engine. you don't want the jdm one as they have speed cuts at 112 mph

they are hard to find.

a p28 can be chipped to run just about any program, including a p30 basemap.

Back