Ebay turbo kit block notching?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

joshc_469

I was wondering if anyone has ever ran into a problem with a ebay turbo kit that requires the outside of the block to be notched to bold the turbo. the compressor housing is hitting one of the ribs on the block. It is a cast manifold setup and I would still like to use it but I do not like the chance of screwing up a good block. If anyone has had this problem I would love to hear about it and possible solutions. thanks

Don't "notch" your engine block. That is freaking silly. Those ribs are there for support, they have to be there.

yes as stated above no need to notch the block. its called clocking. clock the turbo in the best position for your setup.

when installed my e-gay turbo kit. i did have to trim my front motor mount. that was enough for me. i didnt have to notch the block. try the motor mount triock. its alot safer than grinding on your block. rep rep

I did clock the center section and the compressor housing to where I needed them, I e-mailed the ebay seller and they said that you have to notch the block like the DRAG turbo kit, I replied that I've never heard of that and I don't want to take a chance of destroying a block...no reply yet. I did try and turn the turbo around and its into the radiator. I need about a 1\4 inch deep by maybe 1\2 long out of one of the ribs. I'm thinking about trying it. or find a temp. ss autojunk manifold

Id notch the turbo housing before my block. $100 turbo or $1000 motor?

good idea, I don't think I can get quite enough clearance out of the turbo but I would have to take less out of the block, maybe even just sanding the edges down. that should not affect block to much

i would like to see some pictures of this clearance problem if you can. ive done my share of turbos and have yet to run into this problem even with "ebay kits"

i'll get some pics up tonight, i'm glad someone is trying to help me with this

I have a log manifold and a gt32 and I notched my block to fit my turbo. You will be fine everyone has to do it if you run your compressor side on the tranny side.

do you have any pics?? now that I looked at it better There is alot of material that has to come out. how much did you have to grind out?

Hey,

I had exactly the same problem in my car(Honda City swapped with B16A2). What I did was make a cast iron spacer of 2" which fitted on the head and mounted my Blox cast iron manifold on the spacer to create the distance to fit my new turbo T3/T4. I also had 2 options i.e turn the turbo around but that would mean removing the AC compressor or notching the block I took the 3rd route and it cost me approx a USD$ 100/- to get the spacer made & cut on a CNC machine.

This was suggested to me by the shop in the US whom I purchased the turbo from. My original turbo GT28 did not require any modifications.

If you would like I could post some before and after pics.

Jignesh

Last edited:
holy wow, 2" is a lot of spacer to put between a manifold and a head. I'd imagine if it's fastened properly and portmatched it wouldn't be a problem, but dang.

holy wow, 2" is a lot of spacer to put between a manifold and a head. I'd imagine if it's fastened properly and portmatched it wouldn't be a problem, but dang.

Hi,

It is precision cut and port matched. Special heavy duty bolts and fasteners were used. Shall put up some pics soon.

Jignesh

Back