ECU Help - USDM B18C5 in an EK w/ a CTR ECU. Need

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ek818c5

OK, here's my situation. Bought a car w/ a USDM ITR B18C5 motor in it. The car is running w/ a CTR ECU. The ECU is picture below:

ctr.JPG

ctr2.JPG

ctr3.JPG

I also got w/ the car an ECU that the guy said was an Si ECU. Well, it's from 1996 (stamped Nov 1996 on it) so I have no idea what it is. Here's the pic of that ECU:

ecusi.JPG

ecusi2.JPG

ecusi3.JPG

So I go and try to swap the "Si" Ecu in and the pins do NOT match. Sucks...I need to figure out an ECU that will work for me to pass smog since the CTR won't.

Here's the picture of the pins/sockets that are currently wired into the car:

pins.JPG

Anyone have any ideas?

My goal is to be at a point where I can get a USDM ITR ECU or a P28 w/ Kenji program.

TIA for any help anyone can provide.

the p2E is not an si ecu. its the stock D16y7 ECU, no vtec control.
the Si ecu is a p2t

holy wiring mess batman. who ever installed that shit in your car was a fucking retard.

I have no idea where to point you, cuz i have no idea what was done to it.

a p28 won't pass inspection on an obd2-car, as they will use the diag. port to scan.
obd1 doesn't have these functions

the 99-00 si ecu is your best choice...

but it is obd2b plugged. assuming, you're obd2a plugged for the ctr ecu, you're going to need an a car to b ecu conversion harness

Thanks a LOT for your insight. Very helpful. :worthy:

Ok, next question is, do I bother figuring out the entire mess of wiring shit they did or do I buy a new harness of some sort (no idea what though) and get an ITR or Si ECU?

I'm looking for the cleanest way out of this shit.

Oh yea, there's a VAFC hooked up to the car too so some of that wiring schtuff might be that thing.

I'm not sure though.

so your civic is 99-00 right? the d16y7 ecu is a 96-98 so it is no use to you. YOu need to find an ecu for a 99-00. you could get a USDM SI ecu P2T or even a P2P EX ecu as long as it doesnt throw any check engine codes it should get you through emissions. I would stick with the ecu you have and just borrow a 99-00 si ecu or ex ecu from a buddy when it comes time to check emissions. as long as everything is working right i wouldnt worry about your harness. A buddy of mine bought a 96 hatch and it has a 00 si harness and ecu and it only has 2 plugs but it runs so who knows why but if it works it works. if you can find an obd2b ITR ecu you can go that way too. I think from a teg it needs to be a 2000+ to be obd2b

Yes, my civic is a 1999. Cool, so I need to borrow an ECU for smog purposes....one question though. Only one O2 sensor is hooked up, so I have to hook up the other one or else insta-code throw.

Thank you all for your help so far.

Anyone have any other insight to share?

OK guys, so I found out that Locash has a OBD22-21 converter I could buy and run a 97-98 ITR ECU. That will cost about $500 unfortunately.

What engine harness do I need to use to replace the existing harness and run a p28 ecu?

After researching I think that's the way I would like to go. I'd like to run a Kenji programmed p28.

Originally posted by ek818c5@Apr 12 2004, 10:42 AM
OK guys, so I found out that Locash has a OBD22-21 converter I could buy and run a 97-98 ITR ECU. That will cost about $500 unfortunately.

What engine harness do I need to use to replace the existing harness and run a p28 ecu?

After researching I think that's the way I would like to go. I'd like to run a Kenji programmed p28.

The best engine harness you should try and get is a 99-00 EX or Si coupe engine harness. It has VTEC & knock sensor wiring integrated into it, so there's no need to wire those items in at all.

Then get yourself an OBD2b->OBD1 ecu jumper (I sell all types of jumper harnesses if you're interested).

KeNjI PrOgRaM R4WK70RZ!!

a p28 won't pass the smog test though. i don't see how that is even an option. you're going to need an obd2b ecu that runs your motor- the ex or si as suggested above from the 99-00

Hey everyone, thanks for your help...VERY much appreciate it.

My solution is:

Run 00 Si engine harness to 00 Si ECU to pass smog.

Get an OBD2b -> OBD2a jumper to then run a 98 ITR ECU daily and on the track once smog has been passed.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

I'd love to take a look at / buy the CTR ECU. Might even be able to come up with a ITR ECU in trade. Certainly have USDM 90-00 Si ECUs.

Back