???? Electric Supercharger ???? :wtf:

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DwnShftPrincess

There is a guy where I live that has a 94 Nissan Altima. He recenlty purchased an "Electric" supercharger for his car off of ebay. He said it gave him 47hp. Can someone please give me details on this so called "electric" supercharger.
Personally, it looks like a hair dryer motor to me.

Here's the details...

Fans are not designed for creating positive pressure. They can only put out 5 to 6 in H20 (.18-.22psi), and are designed to move air from one location to another, not to pressurize it.

OK, lets go with a 2001 Celica GTS for comparison because I'm tired of talking about Honda this and Honda that...

Specs:
Displacement: 1.8 liters (1,796 cc)
Bore x Stroke: 82.0 mm x 85.0 mm
Compression ratio: 11.5:1
Horsepower: 180 hp @ 7,600 rpm
Torque: 130 lb.-ft. @ 6,800 rpm

Now that we have the specs of the motor, lets see how much air it consumes.

v = (pi/4)*(bore)^2*(stroke)*(Ncylce)*(# Cylinders)
v = 3.14/4*(3.228in)^2*(3.346in)*(7600/2)*(4)
v = 416369in^3/min(1ft^3/1728ft^3)
v = 241.0 cfm

Mind you this is 100% VE, so say at a more reasonable 90% that leaves us with:

v = 241.0cfm * 0.9
v = 216.9 cfm actual

Now I am sure you are thinking that the fan is forcing the extra CFM into the motor right? Wrong. The air will actually just pass back between the blades and the housing, providing no aditional CFMs or pressure. Here is the thermodynamic method of finding the power a fan needs to move and slightly compress air (between 0.18-.22psi), but lets say it will magically create 5 psi boost for a "30hp" gain.

Fan air power = w * Ht
Fan air power = (216.9cfm)*(5psi)*(144in^3/1ft^2)(1hp/33000ftlb/min)
Fan air power = 4.7 Hp

4.7hp = 3.5kw of power.
Divide that by 13 volts (average operating battery voltage) and that leaves you with 270 amps of power. It leaves you to wonder if you would need a 270 amp inline fuse for this monster fan. I dunno about you, but I've yet to see anything with a 270 amp fuse in a car. Keep in mind, this is with 100% efficient motor as well, so it would actually have to consume more power than that. But wait....the factory rating on most alternators are around 80-90 amps! Hm, something seems wrong... seems this electric turbo is consuming 3 times as much as the alternator can put out. hmm... odd.

Long story short an electric turbo just won't create more power than what they consume to run them.

:thankyousigna2:

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Oct 15 2004, 10:05 PM
I dunno about you, but I've yet to see anything with a 270 amp fuse in a car.

OT: I've had stereos with 300 amp fusing and three alternators.

But really, that was an excellent post man. Most people don't realize these things are just ventilation fans for the engine compartment in a boat. :ghey:

It most likely doesn't give any power gains at all. The fans in those eBay piles of crap don't have the capability to:

1. Flow enough air for the engine
2. Build positive pressure in the intake path

There is an electric supercharger on the market that really works, but it costs around $3500 and isn't a simple bolt in affair with your intake tube.

I have actually seen dyno tests for those things that lost power 2 or 3 hp after install. I had a friend who fell for one of those scams too, it slowed him down and he took it off w/in a week, they are garbage, just my .02.

I cannot believe they can get away with something like that .. That guy is making a shitload of a profit

Well, he's probably losing money or barely making anything at $1000. I'll bet he didn't make any sales at the $3500 price, and he just wants to get his product out there so people can talk about it and generate more sales.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Oct 17 2004, 05:39 PM
It's still a roots blower, though.
[post=403821]Quoted post[/post]​

My thoughts exactly. If you watch the vids, he can't get that little nissan or mazda or whatever to run a 15.00. If melting one tire on an open differential and running a 15.3 is what he is trying to sell, then I think we are not his market.

if its cost vs power gain is equal, its hype and garabge.

like an intake for 100 bucks giving you 100 hp.
10 hp isn't happeneing either.
1, sure thing.

so, perhaps its 1% return for power on your dollar that would be a good invest ment.

therefore, a $70 electric fan should net you .7 hp.

but i doubt that much would even be gained.

Originally posted by Jim Truett@Oct 16 2004, 12:11 AM
:thankyousigna2:
Most people don't realize these things are just ventilation fans for the engine compartment in a boat.
[post=403298]Quoted post[/post]​

thats exactly what they are, and they actually hurt your engine, by being a restriction in the intake path.
and to think that they charge almost 700 dollars for the thing is outrageous.
boat blower=20 bucks
some rubber 3" fittings=10 bucks
40 feet of wire=3 bucks
a relay= a dollar
cone filter=20 bucks
grand total of 54 dollars
shipping=21 dollars
so there making like 625 dollars on you, and the thing wont help you a bit, except that you can use it in your boat.
we should start a list of retarded things people shouldnt buy. this being on there.

Originally posted by cycloneb18c3@Oct 19 2004, 04:23 PM
thats exactly what they are, and they actually hurt your engine, by being a restriction in the intake path.
and to think that they charge almost 700 dollars for the thing is outrageous.
boat blower=20 bucks
some rubber 3" fittings=10 bucks
40 feet of wire=3 bucks
a relay= a dollar
cone filter=20 bucks
grand total of 54 dollars
shipping=21 dollars
so there making like 625 dollars on you, and the thing wont help you a bit, except that you can use it in your boat.
we should start a list of retarded things people shouldnt buy. this being on there.
[post=404838]Quoted post[/post]​

Huh? The one in the above link selling for $995 isn't a bilge fan- it's a real electric supercharger. The eBay ones generally go for around $70, not $700.

The one I linked to drains 4 optima yellow-tops in 15 seconds. That's the $999 electric supercharger. Plan on running a VW style 120-amp alternator and limiting yourself to being "fast" for 45 seconds of the hour. Plus you get to be sleeper with the "Optimus Prime" blue/red compressor.

To refrain from ragging on it, it is a true "on/off" supercharger, which wont suffer the spool up and overblow of a regular roots blower. This means that when it's on, it's right in the middle of its 50% efficency. The downside is, its a roots blower which will always be in the middle of its 50% efficency. It's cheaper than nitrous and officer Dan won't even remotely be able to guess what it is.

Turbo vs JRSC threads suck, TKES vs JRSC vs Turbo threads would suck more...

Back