emissions and safety inspection 5th gen accord

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

brownkobe8

ok i see all the forums and i notice that all the swaps are easy cuz they have obd1 accords. Now i own 96 lx i dont understand bout the emissions and safety inspection that will happen? Do they mean wont pass smog or something?
If im plannin to just get obd conversion harness obd2 to 1 and use the ecu that came with the h22a i wont have any problems right? Just wire vtec and switch a6 and a11 around?

but if you live in cali, you're screwed. the engine must be from your model year or newer, and have all emissions components installed to pass smog legally. of course, not all smog techs are as savvy as others. if you have an older 92-95 h22a in your 96 car, but all stock emissions components are installed and there's no cel, you can probably get away with it.

Unless you can run a 92-95 on an obd2 ecu then theres no way you'll pass. It works like this, they read 96 accord, its obd2 so they get the computer and hook up to it. If it has an obd2 computer and isn't throwing codes it passes. Now if it has an obd1 ecu the computer will not connect and they'll fail you and tell you to go to a mechanic to get it fixed. I'm currently going throught this problem right now, I have a 97 h22 in my 97 accord. I had to get an obd2 ecu for a manual cause my stock one was for an auto and it threw codes. I also tried using the obd1 ecu and it wouldn't connect.

Unless you can run a 92-95 on an obd2 ecu then theres no way you'll pass. It works like this, they read 96 accord, its obd2 so they get the computer and hook up to it. If it has an obd2 computer and isn't throwing codes it passes. Now if it has an obd1 ecu the computer will not connect and they'll fail you and tell you to go to a mechanic to get it fixed. I'm currently going throught this problem right now, I have a 97 h22 in my 97 accord. I had to get an obd2 ecu for a manual cause my stock one was for an auto and it threw codes. I also tried using the obd1 ecu and it wouldn't connect.

True.

An OBD2 system communicates directly with the car's ecu and other On Board Diagnostic components. The ECU is a critical component to this system.

Back