Engine cranks but has difficulty turning over

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

preludude

I was wondering if anyone has encountered this problem? I have a prelude f22a 1993 engine and its cranking but it would take several tries to get it to start. Eventually it starts by releasing the clutch a little and gettin on the gas at the same time. Anyone have an idea whats the deal with it?

I replaced the ignition module, but not the distributor and the ign coil, so I'm not sure if its the distributor...

Or would it be the fuel pump?

Originally posted by preludude@Apr 30 2004, 11:38 AM
I was wondering if anyone has encountered this problem?  I have a prelude f22a 1993 engine and its cranking but it would take several tries to get it to start.  Eventually it starts by releasing the clutch a little and gettin on the gas at the same time.  Anyone have an idea whats the deal with it?

I replaced the ignition module, but not the distributor and the ign coil, so I'm not sure if its the distributor...

Or would it be the fuel pump?
[post=323042]Quoted post[/post]​

Sorry to bring back an old thread but did you ever find a solution to your problem? I've been trying to figure out mine (same symptoms different engine) for months now...

Try checking out your fast idle thermo valve. Its located at the front of the intake manifold dashpot, fitted with two coolant hoses. Its probably not letting enough air through.

Also check the engine coolant temp sensor and circuit. It may be shorted resulting in the hard start. (The ECU thinks the engine is hot when it is actually cold)

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jan 3 2005, 06:50 PM
symptons are typical of a pgmfi relay going bad
[post=440632]Quoted post[/post]​

thanks i've got a new relay, I'll replace and update

Originally posted by Punisher@Jan 3 2005, 06:31 PM
Try checking out your fast idle thermo valve. Its located at the front of the intake manifold dashpot, fitted with two coolant hoses. Its probably not letting enough air through.

Also check the engine coolant temp sensor and circuit. It may be shorted resulting in the hard start. (The ECU thinks the engine is hot when it is actually cold)
[post=440625]Quoted post[/post]​

I've replaced the fast idle valve and cleaned the IAC, helped idle smooth out but not start problem

I didn't think the temp sensor was bad sense the radiator fan still kicks on when temp gets there

replaced the main relay and still same problem... when engine is warm: 1st try starting it, it will crank but not fire up. 2nd try when warm it fires-revs up to about 2500 then drops back to idle ~1000

When it is cold outside ~30F I have to crank the bastard for about 2 min before it will fire and even then it will stumble a couple times before it does fire

Any ideas?

Originally posted by bunson2001@Jan 6 2005, 07:02 PM
replaced the main relay and still same problem... when engine is warm: 1st try starting it, it will crank but not fire up. 2nd try when warm it fires-revs up to about 2500 then drops back to idle ~1000

When it is cold outside ~30F I have to crank the bastard for about 2 min before it will fire and even then it will stumble a couple times before it does fire

Any ideas?
[post=442240]Quoted post[/post]​

bump

It probably has something to do with the fuel pressure. Faulty check valve in fuel pump &/or faulty fuel pressure regulator. Do you get black smoke from the exhaust after managing to start, hot and cold?

Originally posted by Punisher@Jan 6 2005, 11:18 PM
It probably has something to do with the fuel pressure. Faulty check valve in fuel pump &/or faulty fuel pressure regulator. Do you get black smoke from the exhaust after managing to start, hot and cold?
[post=442356]Quoted post[/post]​

I've put a new pump, new injectors, it keeps fuel pressure, and the exhaust seems normal enough, not thick and black like it would be if running rich right?

Originally posted by bunson2001+Jan 6 2005, 11:21 PM-->
@Jan 6 2005, 11:18 PM
[post=442356]Quoted post[/post]​

I've put a new pump, new injectors, it keeps fuel pressure, and the exhaust seems normal enough, not thick and black like it would be if running rich right?
[post=442358]Quoted post[/post]​

I've been wasting money buying parts that I think will fix this problem for months now and to no avail, I'm about to pull my freaking hair out... or take it to a dealership but I soooooo don't want to do that....

happend to me when a fellow student lashed my valves. relashed it and viola.

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Jan 6 2005, 11:44 PM
happend to me when a fellow student lashed my valves. relashed it and viola.
[post=442368]Quoted post[/post]​

you know that might just be the case, I don't have the tools to reset the lash how much does that usually run?

Back