"Engine Dampeners"

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Andrew

Just lookin 'round Ebay and came accross these 'engine dampeners' from NR-G.

Basically a 'shock' from the block to the firewall.
Think they'd do any good? or is it just a shiny shock in your engine bay?

+1 to what E said, if you need one of these, build it yourself from autozone mini shock absorbers (like for the hatch glass/truck camper glass)
$20 instead of 45... we made one of those open the hood.
Usually it goes on the side and the hood sticks up and looks like shit, but if you mount it to the side of the brake booster it closes right too :p

the alternative to solid mounts.

hockey pucks are .99 cents. ive been rolling on two completely solid mounts for about 5K miles now.

I don't think it's meant to hold the engine up, used as an engine mount.
I think it's supposed to hold the engine from moving?

Please don't think I'm going to buy that crap... I'm just curious. i've never heard of them before..
-Andrew

I've seen the engine braced on the upper strut tie bar before, on a spoon racecar or someone similar, but never seen dampeners used before for that purpose.

these have been around for a few years. A few different company's make them. Because there is only one "damper" they have been known to cause an engine to actually twist becasue of the difference in support.

Quoted post[/post]]
I don't think it's meant to hold the engine up, used as an engine mount.
I think it's supposed to hold the engine from moving?

Please don't think I'm going to buy that crap... I'm just curious. i've never heard of them before..
-Andrew

There are torque mounts in the front and rear of the engine that prevent it from rocking back and forth(to a certain extent; bushing stiffness).

There are torque mounts in the front and rear of the engine that prevent it from rocking back and forth(to a certain extent; bushing stiffness).

And thats what I'm saying they are, but didnt really make it clear i guess..

I was just wondering if they were effective?!

Quoted post[/post]]

And thats what I'm saying they are, but didnt really make it clear i guess..

I was just wondering if they were effective?!
Maybe, but why would you put a 45$ damper on your car when you can go spend 30 for a set of poly mount inserts that are proven?

lol.. that's actually called a torque dampner and it absorbs the forward/backward engine movement. IMO, it's an absolute must, but don't buy a cheap eBay one, it WILL break. Check out the Ingalls Engineering dampner.. they are quality stuff.

www.ingallseng.com

Pricey, but well worth it. It will help greatly reduce (if not eliminate) wheel hop.

as I questioned before, what does it do, that motor mount inserts do not? Energy suspension makes the same exact claim to eliminate wheel hop with it's poly inserts. Not trying to be a jerk. I've just never seen them used in any honda engine bays I've seen, motor mounts/inserts are an easy/inexpensive path to the same mountain top, unless I'm missing something.

Several of my friends use them and the dampen the movement on the upper half of the motor. Consider this.. the lower half has what, 5 mounts? What's the top half (head and up) have to keep it from moving? Nothing... thus this part.

most people that are new to modding cars dont want to fuck with motor mounts.

its 10x easier to install a damper.

on my mirage, there are two torque mounts underneath, one on the tranny, and one on the upper part of the block.

the two torque mounts are hockey pucks. the motor DOES NOT MOVE. ever.

The two torque mounts with poly inserts should be more than enough for the average joe, but I guess I can see trying anything if you still have engine movement with the poly inserts. I imagine higher hp engines might move a little easier, even with poly inserts. And there are only 2 or 3 torque mounts on hondas that actually keep the engine from moving. the side mounts only hold the engine up. no more no less.
Regardless, it seems like a worthless waste of money to 99% of people out there.

Huh.. so hockey pucks fit directly in there eh?(just with a hole drilled through the middle?)
I'd imagine it'd be too big in diameter..

no its not a direct fit.

mine required trimming the diameter for both mounts.

Back