Even minier than a mini-swap?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SuperCX94

I have a 1994 Honda Civic CX...D15B8. I recently noticed my water pump chirping and dripping a very little bit. So when I change the water pump, I figure I'm going to put the D15B7 head from my buddy's wrecked DX onto my D block. He sold me the head, intake manifold, throttle body all for 75 bones. If nothing else, it's 16-valve over my 8 and a guaranteed 30 more horses (hereon referred to as squirrel power) than I have now.

The head is going to drop on easy, and everything lines up, and it will obviously will work with the bolt-ons I already have (intake, headers, hi-flow cat, high-flow exhaust, 2 1/2 in piping).

It would be crazy to swap the head and not use the DX throttle body and intake manifold (because I'm pretty sure the combo from my CX would fit into the potential replacements...they're SO tiny). And besides, 30 squirrels isn't much, but i'm not trying to build a race car, just trying to pass more! :) And the price was right, i mean, it's 2.5 squirrels per $1!!!

My question is, the DX had it's MAP sensor on the firewall, my CX has the map sensor on the throttle body!!!

Now, I read somewhere that I can just unscrew the MAP sensor from my throttle body, and run a hose from the new throttle body to the nipple at the bottom on my CX MAP sensor, which makes sense because all stock sensors have the same voltage output / voltage rating...but I think it will look like a$$, and I don't remember which hose off the throttle body connects to the map sensor! His wrecked DX it gone now, and I can't get his old MAP sensor! If I do find a MAP sensor that fits on the firewall, does it have the same wire connecting plug? The wires are coded the same way on my MAP sensor! UGH!!

I'd would be so happy to hear any advice, enlightenment, guidance....

p.s...any suggestions on head gasket and timing belt...I'd be really thankful...

My Civic, Skittle, on CarDomain

ha, your car sucks :p.

try and get a hold of a map sensor that mounts on the firewall... but until then run a vaccum hose from the nipple on the sensor to the longer nipple on the TB. i'll run down stairs real quick and take a pic for you so you don't screw something up :) . good luck with your quest to 30hp.

Originally posted by kylemarhx@Jun 18 2005, 06:50 AM
ha, your car sucks :p.

try and get a hold of a map sensor that mounts on the firewall... but until then run a vaccum hose from the nipple on the sensor to the longer nipple on the TB. i'll run down stairs real quick and take a pic for you so you don't screw something up :) . good luck with your quest to 30hp.
[post=513685]Quoted post[/post]​

WEEELLLLLLLLLL.......quoteth the Hayne's manual ----- B15D8 8-valve = 70 hp stock.......B15D7 16-valve = 100 hp stock....therefore, i should get 30...unless i did my math wrong, which i didn't.

Anyhow, and whether 30 or not, it's gotta be better than what i had, considering the throttle body and intake manifold are triple the size of that on my dx, and 16-valve over the 8-valve i currently have. And Like i said, it would compliment all of my other parts ::did you check out my cardomain site? the car doesn't suck, it's just SLLLLOOOOWWWW ::

I asked for help on the map sensor, not for someone to critique my math, read a book...thanks

I really appreciate the help, I have a week to redo all these parts, and paint/install the body kit, and the custom enclosure i just finished glassing....

Any help on the timing belt size (number of teeth or civic model? head gasket?)

Skittle on CarDomain

do your pistons have valve reliefs for the two additional valves per liter?i know hf's dont...also did you get the dx ecu...cause if you didnt you wont see the 30 additional hp

Originally posted by 88bluehf@Jun 18 2005, 10:57 PM
do your pistons have valve reliefs for the two additional valves per liter?i know hf's dont...also did you get the dx ecu...cause if you didnt you wont see the 30 additional hp
[post=513852]Quoted post[/post]​

thats what i was gonna say you will need pistons and dx comp

man i have sohc vtec head i would have sold you for 100

Originally posted by TWISTEDIMAGE+Jun 18 2005, 11:20 PM-->
@Jun 18 2005, 10:57 PM
[post=513852]Quoted post[/post]​

thats what i was gonna say you will need pistons and dx comp

man i have sohc vtec head i would have sold you for 100
[post=513866]Quoted post[/post]​

Hey felleas...

Yeah, ironically, when I first got the CX, it had a leaky intake manifold gasket, and it was blowing coolant...ouch, so when I took off the head thinking MAYBE the head gasket was affect, i found that.....

Yes, the pistons in my CX block already have depressions for 16 valve, I think that is really f'd up, then again, I think the old lady that had the car before me blew the engine or something, because there is that weird, painted on coding like one might find on parts that came outta the yard. Anyhow, from what I read and looked into, the blocks on both the CX / DX were identical, the bore was the same, i think the stroke might have been a hair longer. But yes, the pistons in my block do have 4 depressions / cylinder, and yes, I have the DX ecu.

Thanks for the offer on the V-Tec head, but I chose not to go v-tec almost specifically because I parts were cheaper to build up the top end DX...I got the new cam shaft, cam gear, the whole works...and as far as the throttle body, i'm thinkin about the BBK oversized, because they have a block off plate, or you can run it to the fire wall....nice...also, i heard some horror stories about v-tecs being supercharged, which was my main goal until i got engaged and spent my Jackson Racing fund on my fiance's engagement ring....bitch...

thanks again fellas.....again....recomendation on head gasket / timing belt?

My civic, Skittle, on CarDomain

Originally posted by SuperCX94+Jun 20 2005, 01:16 PM-->
i think the stroke might have been a hair longer.
[post=514424]Quoted post[/post]​

Nope. Same stroke.

SuperCX94
@Jun 20 2005, 01:16 PM
thanks again fellas.....again....recomendation on head gasket / timing belt?
[post=514424]Quoted post[/post]​

If your block is the same as the DX and you're using the DX head, also use the DX head gasket and timing belt. Good luck.

Back