Extreme Haiti Bash

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Mow the rest of them down with machine guns and give the land to the dominican repulic. Done.

The funniest thing to see is to walk into your National Guard Armory during drill and watch Sergeant Major ask "Who here would like to volunteer 3 months of their time to go overseas and help in Haiti, and even get a $7500 bonus and overseas pay for it?" and not one damn person out of 225 people raised their hand. Gotta love 225 soldiers having exactly the same mind set.

Tax dollars should never be spent for helping anyone not even our own country. Katrina anyone?

I have zero issues with people donating money anywhere they want, I also don't have any issues for people like Obama asking people to donate money into a fund, may it be for home land, or over seas. As long as its an option.

People can do anything they want.

:concur:

this is why charity organizations exist... people who want to donate, can and do... people who do not, do not, and are not forced to... and the money is often far better managed, and put to better use than the government ever could or would

Born there and stuck there? I've met two Haitians ever. Both my age. Both had families that didn't want to stay in Haiti. Both got on a raft and came here. Got some cash together and became citizens. Stuck there my ass.

Born there and stuck there? I've met two Haitians ever. Both my age. Both had families that didn't want to stay in Haiti. Both got on a raft and came here. Got some cash together and became citizens. Stuck there my ass.

I keep forgetting that anyone can enter the country, get work permits, and become a citizen.....

you can rep me for posting it. :D

on a side note, i post like this all the time. I get called a "communist" or "hitler". i'm still waiting for more responses before i post my .02.

Fucking Commie. :ph34r:

I just felt I was the one to be obliging your obscure request, although with this post I don't believe it. :p

I agree with him as well, which is why I haven't donated a damn thing.

Fucking Commie. :ph34r:

Great, now i can post. ^_^

Haiti is a fucking shithole. If i had enough capital, i would personally take over the country. I would start cheap ass factories for shoes, cars, and clothes. i would run them back to the slave days, but i would at least pay them. it would be like china, i would build large projects to hold all of the workers and pay them enough to survive.

why the fuck are we donating $100million to these fucking leaches? do we have trade with them? no. do they have oil? no. do they threaten us with nukes? nope.

if we cared enough about haiti, we would have done something long ago. we should go in there with our military and take it over. let's call it "puerto rico 2".

if we don't exploit them in some fashion after this incident, we wasted our time, money, and efforts.

i ask, why don't they have any tourism spots? why don't they have any resorts? why don't they have any fishing or larger sugar exports? because it's a piece of shit third world country. same with africa and every other country we send our taxpayers dollars.

i swear to god, if one american soldiers dies over there, i don't know what i would do. obama, get your head out of your ass and stop giving all our fucking taxpayer dollars to poor, broke, worms. sometimes i feel that since obama is kinda black, he wants to feed the poor, third world countries. it's retarded.

/rant

why the fuck are we donating $100million to these fucking leaches? do we have trade with them? no. do they have oil? no. do they threaten us with nukes? nope.

if we cared enough about haiti, we would have done something long ago.

we've been giving them (wasting) tens to hundreds of Millions of dollars every fucking year since 1973

that's just the US... that doesnt count all of the money that other countries are giving (wasting on) them every single fucking year

just to toss it out there... in fiscal year 2008 Haiti received over $873Million dollars in foreign aid (roughly 12.5% of their GDP is donations from other countries)

look how much it helped

i ask, why don't they have any tourism spots? why don't they have any resorts? why don't they have any fishing or larger sugar exports? because it's a piece of shit third world country. same with africa and every other country we send our taxpayers dollars.

essentially they are the welfare housing project of the western hemisphere
its a shit hole that we dump money into so we can feel like we are helping or doing some good... but in reality we are only enabling them to continue on with their current course of action, with no real incentive to change anything

and further on along that note... here is another story about the aid to Haiti

Foreign Aid and Haiti: A Form of Dutch Disease | The New Ledger

Foreign Aid and Haiti: A Form of Dutch Disease
by Francis Cianfrocca

There’s a syndrome that you occasionally see with states that are blessed with mineral wealth or some other natural resource, like oil or gas deposits. It’s called “Dutch disease†after the experience of the Netherlands following a large natural gas development beginning in the late Fifties.

It’s fairly complicated and it happens in different ways, but you usually see an appreciation of the local currency as export revenue grows. (Foreigners need to buy your money before they can buy your goods.) Eventually, the resulting imbalance starts bleeding investment and human resources away from existing local industries and into the export sector. Broad-based economic development, which may or may not have already been in progress, starts to go backwards. Eventually, social development starts going backwards too.

Leave for another day how this affects China, which has a large exportable “natural resourceâ€: the armies of low-cost assembly workers that drove “globalization†in the Nineties. (Remember that word?) Now you know another reason why China aggressively undervalues its money.

The case I have in mind is Haiti, and the example may carry over to a few other basket-case states.

Haiti has an infinitely renewable and highly valuable natural resource, which produces large inflows of revenue. And ironically, after the earthquake which has horribly devastated so many innocent lives, its resource is all the more valuable.

The resource is access to foreign aid. Haiti has long had the rapt attention of the NGOs and international aid organizations that specialize in relief efforts. These have gone beyond responses to emergencies, and become a permanent part of the country’s economy. We’re now hearing about the need to pour billions of dollars in additional aid into Haiti.

But Haiti has a total GDP of about $7 billion, give or take. If they get a billion dollars in aid, it would be as if the US, having lost a major city the size of Houston* for example, received about $2 trillion in external aid.

You see the problem, right? $100 million is one thing. But what is there in Haiti that you can spend a billion dollars or more on? It’s analogous to the question faced by the leadership of a state that receives large amounts of foreign exchange from exports of oil and gas.

All the usual things are being talked about: building an ultramodern new city from the rubble of Port-au-Prince, for one thing. But no one is talking about understanding in some deep way what it will take for Haitians themselves to develop a culture that favors economic development, entrepreneurship, and local community leadership.

Those are the things that lead to broadly-shared prosperity and a better life for everyone. And they are the things that external resources tend to attenuate, in countries that experience Dutch disease.

Haiti of course has even deeper problems. (For example, how meaningful is to even speak of “leadership†there, as I just blithely did?) But this really is an important question for all the well-intentioned people who have long been trying to do something for Haiti, as well as the millions more who, shocked by the earthquake, have recently been trying to think of ways to help.

Haiti needs the world’s emergency relief to recover from this disaster. But then what? Does massive foreign aid ultimately help this stricken country, or hurt it?

—
*I give the example of Houston by extrapolating the size of Port-au-Prince as a proportion of Haiti’s population. The devastation suffered by New Orleans in 2005 was proportionally much smaller.

hell, if it's all mountains, lets use the island for a military training base. let our guys practice for afghanistan. there is no point in giving them millions and millions of dollars without gaining anything.

i don't give a girl jewelry to get that warm fuzzy feeling inside. i want my dick sucked bitch.

give the u.s. cheap labor, oil, drugs. but don't just flush money down the fucking toilet.

Back