F22 to H23 4th gen Prelude

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CraigTRD

Hello, I am brang new here. I live in London ON, Canada and I am doing a swap on my 93 lude. It had an F22, I acquired a blown H23 engine about a year ago, so I had the crank ground down, all new bearings obviously, new pistons & rings, new valves and valve seals, head was sent in for the dunk tank.

Anyway, I was reading on here about the distributor problem that I ran into. The parts stores can't find the proper dizzy cap for the H23 engine that has the coil internal. I am swapping the guts from one dizzy to the other to make a frankenstein dizzy to work with this engine. I think it was a user named "tab" that originally posted it. He posted a link in another thread to how he did it or something, but the link was dead as of yesterday when I clicked on it.

As for the knock sensor for the H23, and the power steering pressure sensor on the F22......I am using the engine harness from the F22. Does the connector go to the knock sensor on the H23, that originally went to the power steering pressure sensor on the F22?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Cheers guys!

Well, it's running! ;)
Dizzy swap worked.
I have an open header right now, so the O2 sensors aren't hooked up. Where do they go in the exhaust system on the H23 setup? I need to figure out what to do at the end of the header. I have the flex pipe and cat....I'll have to weld something "fancy" up.
The check engine light must be related to the lack of exhaust and O2 sensors.
There is an oil pressure switch that I haven't hooked up either...I have to make an extension for the wire to reach the sensor on the H23 block. It's way lower than on the F22.
I can't wait to get the exhaust done so I can see how this thing will actually run. I took it around the block for jokes with no hood.....didn't run too badly for an open header.

PICT9135.jpg

Dizzy Frankenstein:
PICT9127.jpg

I had a CEL on until today. Knock sensor.
Using the F22 engine wire harness, on the H23 engine requires four mods.
1) extend the oil pressure switch. (I did this by actually adding a length of wire to the harness. I didn't splice into it, I connected a female round connector to the sensor, and a male connector at the other end of my extension piece that goes into the harness.
2) Distributor connectors might not reach...I for some reason had an internal coil in the dizzy....so I swapped the internals out (above post) and ran the wires over top of the dizzy as opposed to under it like it was on the F22 engine.
3) O2 sensor will most likely not reach for the location of the H23 exhaust. I am not sure what I will do there...either try to re-route the harness to above the tranny so it is at the back of the engine to reach the location on the exhaust.....or extend the wires somehow.....I think these things are resistive sensitive though.....so we'll see what kind of issues I run into at that time.
For now I have the F22 complete exhaust system bolted up to the H23 engine. Yes the manifolds are the same between F22 and H23. They are NOT the same between H23 and H22 though!
4) Power Steering Pressure Switch (F22) and Knock Sensor (H23). The connector is the same, and it is in the same location. Basically....where it used to clip into the PSS, now just plug it into the Knock sensor on the H23. THEN, on the ECU, remove the pin from connector B8 (Red/Grn), and put it into connector D3. No need to splice or hack here....just simple stick a pin into the connector to release the pin terminal from the connector, and then plug it into the new location.

In case anyone is doing this swap again (probably slim)....but whatever....just pm me and I'll help you out the best I can.

Cheers guys!
Oh, and PS....I replaced that puny Civic battery with a proper 600 CCA Prelude tonight too. :D

Oh, I forgot to mention....another thing that I did during this swap was remove the secondary intake valve BS.
It's in here:
PICT8830.jpg

Here it is:
PICT8909.jpg

OUT!:
PICT8910.jpg

Just looking at my pics...I realize that I have some of the oil pressure switch harness stuff. To just left of the oil filter....that faded white round terminal connector. Also, the green connector that used to plug into the Power Steering Pressure Switch is now plugged into the Knock Sensor:
PICT9128.jpg

Here you can see the green Power Steering Pressure Switch that is open. Nothing goes in there when doing the H23 swap from an F22, with the F22 engine harness.
Notice the Oil Pressure Switch:
PICT9132.jpg

It might run like this when you fire it up for the first time after a fresh build. :D
PICT9134.jpg

Back