Factory Intake vs Strut Tower Brace Issue

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BrutalB83

Brutal Moderator
VIP
Hey guys...got a weird problem. I went to put a DC Sports front tower brace on my daily driver Civic this weekend and ran in to an issue...well, two issues exactly. There's a plastic fuse box attached to the passenger side strut tower that's in the way. That one was an easy fix. I just unbolted it and zip tied it to some other cables. The other issue is that the factory intake tube has this weird chamber on top of it (see picture). I pulled it off and looked at it, and it's literally just a hollow plastic chamber, so I'm guessing it's just for acoustics or to make air flow a certain way?

Anyway, it blocked installation of the tower brace. For now, I just took it off and wrapped up the hole with a shit ton of thick black gorilla tape and put the metal tightening ring back around it, but that makes me nervous.

Any ideas on something that I could permanently plug the hole with? I was thinking maybe go to a hardware store and look at PVC plugs or some other sort of rubber plumbing plug? Aftermarket intake would fix it, obviously, but I'm trying to just keep this turd completely stock, engine wise.

Attachments

• Civic_03.jpg
    Civic_03.jpg
    935.1 KB · Views: 505
It is! Just like the olden days. You can get a rubber grommet from the hardware store.

its a muffler for the intake, and ive had good luck with various sized bottle/lids and a hose clamp , also yes plumbing grommet

EX the intake muffler on my buddys 96 Impala SS was the exact same size as JIF Peanut Butter lid lol hose clamp around it and didnt look back

its a muffler for the intake, and ive had good luck with various sized bottle/lids and a hose clamp , also yes plumbing grommet

Yeah, I figured it was probably for sound control. I went to Home Depot tonight and bought a PVC plug that should fit the ID and a black rubber cap with a hose clamp that should fit the OD, so I'll have to see which one I like better.

Back