Failed Emmissions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sporty240

I have a 93 civic Ex, 182k on it with a I/h/e, fpr w/guage, and i think it has a sport cat, havent looked under there yet.
I failed the idle test for Hydro Carbons which they told me is unburned fuel,I got 300 when the limit is 220(ppm). I passed the (25 mph)cruise HCs (160 limit and i got 111ppm )and i passed the CO test at cruise and at idle, my fuel pressure is set at 32 psi at idle, my idle is at 680 rpm

does anyone have any suggestions to what i can do ??? new cat??? new spark plugs??? should i adjust the fuel pressure?? please help

do you have an aftermarket ECU or add on fuel thinggy ?
you might just be running too rich

was the car fully warmed up at the time of testing ?
was the car sitting still running for a while?
either of these will allow the cat to cool off and it wont burn up the unspent fuel

what is the stock fuel pressure???

should i set the idle to a higher rpm??? will that make the cat burn hotter???

no i do not have the stock regulator, but i would like to know what the stock fuel pressure is, at the time of the test it was set to 32 psi, and the car was warmed up, i checked a new o2 senor at schucks is like $200, but i just bought new spark plug im gonna give it another try

thanks for your responses

also dude i do not know why this would help, but it helped my buddy out, take the throtle body off, and clean the throtle body plate... the cat maybe the thing that is killing you, if i were you i would find a legal cat just for this test...

a very cheap option is to go out and buy 2 gallons of "denatured alcohol" from your local home depot.
with about 1 gal of gas left in your tank and the denatured alcohol to the tank, go back to the emmissions station
you'll pass with flying colors.

It's similar to running E85 , it's a newer alternative fuel being used these days. which burns way the f*ck cleaner than petrol.

Some literature to read up on about new alternative fuels.

e85fuel.com
Ethanol info

Originally posted by CRX-YEM@Mar 27 2003, 10:28 AM
a very cheap option is to go out and buy 2 gallons of "denatured alcohol" from your local home depot.
with about 1 gal of gas left in your tank and the denatured alcohol to the tank, go back to the emmissions station
you'll pass with flying colors.

It's similar to running E85 , it's a newer alternative fuel being used these days. which burns way the f*ck cleaner than petrol.

Some literature to read up on about new alternative fuels.

e85fuel.com
Ethanol info

Hey, would you mind going over what E85 might to in your car? Have you used it yet? Will it dick up your O2 sensor, etc?

I think the last thing people want is to be running clean but popping a code at emissions, best thing to do in that case is disconnect the CEL light from the ECU . :)

If used over a period of time it will probably destroy all the rubber seals and hoses that it comes in contact with, other than that there really shouldn't be a problem with it. If you wanted to run it permanintly you would have to change everything over to neoprene seals and hard line.

Back