Finally Got My Mustang Back.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hexen

Well I finally got my mustang out of the shop after about a year.

It had some problems leaking oil into the water supply (radiator) which caused it to overheat in like five minutes.
It also has the rear end geared down so low that I can't really drive it more than 50 miles an hour for any period of time or it will pretty much blow up the engine.

I didn't have that done, my former step-dad did and once I got the car from my mom (she has a civic and never wanted the Mustang) I started the work on it.

The whole bottom end was replaced, new block, pistons, crank, rods... everything.
The whole top end was replaced, all with adjustable valvesprings etc.. from non adjustable.

Four core radiator installed instead of a two core.

The reason it took so long is because I had this guy rebuild the engine a couple years ago and it has had problems ever since, I've been taking it back and telling him it's not working right, he'll change something, I'll get it back and then it still doesn't work right. So this time he just kept it until he could get enough money to replace the whole freaking engine (at no cost to me).

Hopefully if MrBlk from these forums lets me borrow his digital camera I will have some pictures up by tomorrow. It is the only Mustang that I would be proud of owning, since it's an older car and it looks great (although it could use another paint job since someone keyed it and the clear coat is tearing.)

Next step is either trying to sell it to build up my Civic or keep it as a recreational vehicle and put a new rear end in it so I can drive it on the freeway. Not quite sure yet... hopefully I'll have pictures up and you guys can help me decide (although I'm 99% sure everyone is going to say sell it and tune the Honda.... duh.)

Originally posted by B16@Jan 24 2003, 06:56 PM
nice, bring it by, lets race :)

Hah, you have a digital camera right?

Shit I'll head over there right now if you want to take some pictures heh.

But I need to hold out on the racing, I got break the engine in.
It has less than 100 miles on it as it is.

did u read that one article about beating on it for the first little bit for proper ring seating?

Originally posted by Hexen@Jan 24 2003, 05:53 PM
hopefully I'll have pictures up and you guys can help me decide (although I'm 99% sure everyone is going to say sell it and tune the Honda.... duh.)

Nah... older Mustangs kick ass. What year? I wanna see the pics!

Definatly post some pic's along with what you're running for a powertrain.

Photos are up!

Check it out.

Definatly post some pic's along with what you're running for a powertrain.

It's a 351 Winsor with a C6/Shiftkit Auto.
Rearend downgeared (it's not freeway driveable.)

I'm just breaking in the engine, I've got about 100 miles on it and that costed me about $20 in gas.
So I either need to get the rear end geared back up to stock or put about 6000 miles on it to break it in so that I can use it for a real daily driver.

Edit: In the 8th picture (the big chip) that is really only about 1/2 an inch in diameter but the Camera is a 5.1 mega-pixel with great macro-zoom.

Originally posted by jeff@Jan 27 2003, 11:56 PM
Looks really good. I love old mustangs.

Thanks. It's been a pain in the ass process getting it back and in running condition, but I'm happy it's over with and I can actually drive it now.

Use 3.55's for a rearend gear it's the best compromise for off the line performance and top end. Looks good, older Mustangs have a lot more style than the newer ones.

Hexen,don't be a fool,keep that beauty.That is American muscle the way it is supposed to be.

Originally posted by chevy302dz@Jan 28 2003, 02:48 AM
Looks good, older Mustangs have a lot more style than the newer ones.

True that.

I couldn't own a new mustang and be proud of myself. This is another story.

Hexen,don't be a fool,keep that beauty.That is American muscle the way it is supposed to be.

I've already had 2 people approach me and ask me if I wanted to sell it. I'm not sure how serious they were, but it wouldn't be a problem to get rid of if I ever decide to. For the time being I'm keeping it though.

Back