First real mod goes on the WRX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Nov 4 2003, 06:53 PM
Believe me, I really want one. But I can't afford the new intercooler, plumbing, and bumper works that needs to be done to accomodate a FMIC. Plus, it'll most likely completely void my warranty. :)

true dat. Can't you get a Subaru made FMIC...which wouldn't void the warrenty? I'm sure they have them. :unsure:

As far as I know, Subaru never did a FMIC. If they put a TMIC on the STi, their top-of-the-line performance car, I don't think they'd go through the trouble to manufacture a FMIC. And as I said, the bumper isn't deep enough to fit a FMIC in, hence the comment about all the bumper work needed for a FMIC.

There's gotta be some sort of company that makes FMIC for Subarus...without voiding the factory warrenty. I know there are kits out there. but I don't know who makes them.

Whether it voids the warranty or not depends on the dealership doing the work. The dealership in Boulder is hella cool, and is very mod-friendly. The dealership in Longmont (where I bought the car), however, is not. It just means I've got to drive an extra 15 minutes whenever I want the car serviced.

I'm sure there are companies out there that make a conversion kit, but it's not worth the $1500 or so I see it costing. I'd much rather spend a few hundred on Mike's friend's used STi TMIC and be happy with it.

Originally posted by sleepergtx@Nov 4 2003, 06:49 PM
I think I read somewhere that a FMIC is about 10 times more efficient than a TMIC...which is the same reason radiators are planted at the front of the car. hood scoops can only do so much and only help you at speeds above 45 mph.

Ten times? I seriously doubt that...

Originally posted by Calesta+Nov 5 2003, 06:27 PM-->
sleepergtx
@Nov 4 2003, 06:49 PM
I think I read somewhere that a FMIC is about 10 times more efficient than a TMIC...which is the same reason radiators are planted at the front of the car. hood scoops can only do so much and only help you at speeds above 45 mph.

:werd:

which is the same reason radiators are planted at the front of the car

radiators are placed in the front of a car for 2 main reasons... just like an intercooler, they are a heat exchanger. To do their job they must be in an area where the temps are lower than the exchanger's contents...also there is really nowhere else in an engine bay to put a radiator

hood scoops can only do so much and only help you at speeds above 45 mph

not true...the scoop allows the intercooler to be exposed to outside air, even when the car is standing still

Originally posted by Calesta+Nov 5 2003, 06:27 PM-->
sleepergtx
@Nov 4 2003, 06:49 PM

it was a guestimate because I can't remember what exactly I read.

I only have 1 thing to say: We>Vishnu uppipe!!!

Yeah baby!

hey guys, in response to solman's question, can we plan on thanksgiving weekend? like maybe sunday so i can take my baby to get aligned? let me know...

Pulley this Saturday? By the looks of their instructions, it's hella easy. If we get together early, we can have it done, then drive down to Subaru to get my ECU for my extra 60 horsepower. :)

As far a B's suspension goes, I agree, let's do it Turkey Day weekend. Right after we mourn CU's loss to the Fuskers.

And yes, we are DEFINITELY > Vishnu uppipe. :worthy: us

Hey if you decide to do pulley this sat, it'll be you and Jebus b/c I've got a football game....stupid band. I found the manual that tells you how to install it though.....let me know if you want it for this weekend.

Yeehaa, bringing this thread back from teh almost-dead.

Did my crank pulley on Saturday morning by myself. It took an hour, maybe an hour and 15 minutes, TOPS. None of this uber-ghey Honda crank pulley shit, where you're working with like 1 inch of clearance, need a special tool to get the crank nut off, etc. Just loosen a couple of tensioners, loosen the alternator, take off a couple of accessory belts, put the car in gear with the e-brake on, and break the sucker loose. It was hella easy. Got it on, turned the car on, checked for problems, then drove my ass down to Flatirons Subaru real quick-like to get my Vishnu-programmed ECU. :)

All I can say is......WOW. After plugging it in, went for a spin, and it was amazing. High points:

- Boost now peaks right at 1 bar, maybe a touch above, instead of around 0.8 bar
- Boost peaks earlier in the rev range, thanks to the lightened smaller crank pulley and the straight-through uppipe
- Boost STAYS peaked at 1 bar throughout the rev range, with a slight drop right at the end, rather than dropping steadily to around .5 bar like it did with the stock ECU

In other words, Vishnu owns me. I get one free reflash of the ECU within one year. Plans are for a Vishnu downpipe and silicone intercooler hoses, and POSSIBLY an STi intercooler if Mike can hook me up. :) I'll keep everyone informed.

Damn, That's so bad ass, I need to get one of these mod friendly cars, no more of this basic, spending 1k and getting 7 hp out of it.

Originally posted by 92CivicCx@Nov 9 2003, 12:38 PM
i want a wrx cuz of you

:withstupid: I've always wanted a WRX...but now I want one more because of him.

i saw a few 2002's for around 20,000 near by but i dont want to make a big car payment a month

hey dohcvtec_accord, all i gotta say is this: "Hey stage 0, wanna race?" hahahahah! Been waiting soooo long to say that!! :D :D :D

Back