First swap need help on ECU! B16A into a 97 civic coupe obd2?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

integraboomer

I have a 1997 civic coupe 5 speed with the d16y7 in it. Well anyways i just bought a b16 full motor swap.. of course not everything is there but the guy gave me two ecus and told me they would plug right in to the civic harness. i knew that couldnt be true because his ecu's were vtec, a p06 and a p28. and sure enough it didnt fit. the pins are different. my question is which harness do i need to convert obd1 to obd2? or will i need a whole new engine harness? because the distributer on the b16 does not match up to the civics harness either, just the connector part. the wires look the same. Any help on this will be very much appretiated.

Rywire.com would probably be your best choice...they will deli erica the exact harness you need or even make you a jumper harness for simple plug and play :)

You might want to get a p30 ecu or have one of your ecus chipped with a b16 basemap as well.

You can make one of those ECU's work.

Have you opened up the ECU's to look for a chip?

If chipped.....is there a socket to plug into a laptop?

Or.....get a OBD2 P30.

What OBD is the motor? (i.e. alternator, injectors, distributor) You say the dizzy to harness isn't connecting right so that makes me guess that you got a OBD1 B16A (IMO, older motor in a newer car :thumbsdown:) But maybe its a DX thing or OBD2 chassis thing :shrug2: OBD1 B-series stuff plugs into OBD1 Civics with no issues

How are you going to address VTEC wiring?

Last edited:
You can make one of those ECU's work.

Have you opened up the ECU's to look for a chip?

If chipped.....is there a socket to plug into a laptop?

Or.....get a OBD2 P30.

What OBD is the motor? (i.e. alternator, injectors, distributor) You say the dizzy to harness isn't connecting right so that makes me guess that you got a OBD1 B16A (IMO, older motor in a newer car :thumbsdown:) But maybe its a DX thing or OBD2 chassis thing :shrug2: OBD1 B-series stuff plugs into OBD1 Civics with no issues

How are you going to address VTEC wiring?[/QUOTE

Yup youre right the engine is obd1 and the civic is obd2. The ecus are obd1. Even if I got obd2 ecu and it plugs in would it work? Cuz the engine harness is meant for a d series. And as far as vtec goes idk how to do it.,I heard its a few wires but I imagine this whole ecu thing is a cluster fuck

I also believe its illegal to put an older engine into a newer car...swap has to be newer than the car :(

Your stock DX harness will not plug into the dizzy and injectors (I also think its different at the alternator too)

Those parts need to be OBD2 96-97 Del Sol VTEC or 99-00 Civic Si parts or you can research how to splice the OBD1 plugs onto your OBD2 harness. Plus you need to use the VTEC lines (2 plugs total). You also need donor pins to piggyback off that connect them to the ECU. Unless you run a jump harness w/OBD1 ECU and it comes with lines already off the harness

After that.....you can work on the right ECU. Look around and see if you can find a OBD2 P30 ECU. Not sure how to make a P2T ECU (99-00 Civic Si B16A2) work with the immobilizer stuff.

Or make a chipped OBD1 SOHC ECU work.

I
Your stock DX harness will not plug into the dizzy and injectors (I also think its different at the alternator too)

Those parts need to be OBD2 96-97 Del Sol VTEC or 99-00 Civic Si parts or you can research how to splice the OBD1 plugs onto your OBD2 harness. Plus you need to use the VTEC lines (2 plugs total). You also need donor pins to piggyback off that connect them to the ECU. Unless you run a jump harness w/OBD1 ECU and it comes with lines already off the harness

After that.....you can work on the right ECU. Look around and see if you can find a OBD2 P30 ECU. Not sure how to make a P2T ECU (99-00 Civic Si B16A2) work with the immobilizer stuff.

Or make a chipped OBD1 SOHC ECU work.

I know they won't plug in that's why they make adapters to convert. I thought about running obd2 ecu but then I would probably get all kinds of codes and cell. I had in mind to run the obd1 to obd2 jumper so I can use obd1 ecu and then just get adapters for dizzy,injectors,etc.

And VTEC wired to the jumper or directly to teh OEM plug if you run a OBD2A P30

I know they make the adapters for dizzy plugs but they make them for injectors and alternators?

Not trying to thread jack im new to the forum can't post my own just one quick question im building ls vtec with a b16 head will an obd0 gsr intake mani throttle body fuel rail and injectors work?again sorry

Yuu can use all your mounts except the rear trans mount needs to be off a B-series.

Let me know.....I got one for sale :thumbsup:

Still want you to explain these alternator and injector conversion plugs you are talking about. Do you have a link to them or any pictures????

Back