Foggy headlight

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

97SIRTN

So my driver's side headlight started fogging up the other day. My stepfather saw and said he could fix it. I am thinking we are going to pop the whole cover off and reseal it after wiping away the condensation.
Nope, he proceeded to drill three small holes in the bottom of the light and put a sealer on the top of the light. :blink:
I voiced my objections, but he insisted he had done it before on his bro's caddy and it worked.
I thought headlights were sealed to prevent moisture.

Did he just make the problem worse or fix it?

Originally posted by 97SIRTN@Jun 17 2005, 01:09 AM
So my driver's side headlight started fogging up the other day. My stepfather saw and said he could fix it. I am thinking we are going to pop the whole cover off and reseal it after wiping away the condensation.
Nope, he proceeded to drill three small holes in the bottom of the light and put a sealer on the top of the light. :blink:
I voiced my objections, but he insisted he had done it before on his bro's caddy and it worked.
I thought headlights were sealed to prevent moisture.

Did he just make the problem worse or fix it?
[post=513298]Quoted post[/post]​

In theory it should work. For awhile.

At some point I would just source a new headlight.

I live in a wet climate ( snow and rain and hot and cold)
and i have added drain holes to most of my sealed beams now without a hitch

The best way to solve this problem is to just use a compressor to blow the water out of the headlight. I personnally think drilling holes is a bad idea because dust or dirt will make you headlights heat up more than they are suppose to, and you'll burn bulbs twice as fast as they should.

If someone walked to my car with a drill, and ignored my objections, the drill would be held by a bloody, severed hand on the ground.

Well,
It has been a couple of weeks and the light still fogs.
I vote no on this method of fixing the headlight.

What can I do to fix this. We sealed the top and drilled holes in the bottom.
Could I fill the holes, and be done with it?
Will that stop the fog, or are more rdastic measures needed?

sick a heat gun or a hair dryer on the light and put a nice bead of silicone caulk around the seam.

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Jul 18 2005, 10:43 PM
get a new headlight? it's not like they're a billion dollars or anything.
[post=528237]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

Back