For anyone willing to make pho at home....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jeffie7

Wrong Whole!
VIP
Thanks to tons of request on pho. even though I highly doubt anyone will try to make it...... I posted it up, a how to, for making pho at home.

So here we go!

Beef Combination Pho - Hands on Kitchen

1.5 lbs beef bones
1.5 lbs beef brisket
1 lb of eye of round beef
1/2 lb tendon
10 oz tripe
1 bag of pho noodles
3 white onions
8 shallots
1 green onion
handful of cilantro
6" worth of ginger
13 quarts water for broth + extra water for cooking the other items.
3 and 1/2 tsp salt
2 TBS and 1 tsp of fish sauce
3 TBS sugar
1/3 cup star aniseed
1 bunch of basil
1 jalapeno
1 lime
2 cups mung bean sprouts
Hoisin sauce
Red chili sauce

Recipe seems crazy, but it's really not bad at all, lots of EASY steps, but it does take a full day of watching TV or playing video games or in todays case watching the Giants and Bolts lose =( lots of going back and forth from the TV to the kitchen but over all, its very easy, just takes time..... lots of time.....

If you want details of the recipe click on the link, there's a lot of steps that go into it so I,m not even going to try and sum it up in cliff notes.

1279d1231733700-beef-combination-pho-img_4655.jpg

1282d1231733700-beef-combination-pho-img_4669.jpg

1297d1231733871-beef-combination-pho-img_4719.jpg

1300d1231733931-beef-combination-pho-img_4723.jpg

1309d1231734010-beef-combination-pho-img_4736.jpg

1320d1231734444-beef-combination-pho-img_4750.jpg

1328d1231734470-beef-combination-pho-img_4765.jpg

1343d1231734590-beef-combination-pho-img_4788.jpg

1344d1231734599-beef-combination-pho-img_4790.jpg

Beef Combination Pho - Hands on Kitchen

love pho... but when it only costs me $5 for a big ass combo bowl i really cant be bothered spending time making it... also i dont know how to make bubble tea... and that is an important part of any trip to the noodle house :D

love pho... but when it only costs me $5 for a big ass combo bowl i really cant be bothered spending time making it... also i dont know how to make bubble tea... and that is an important part of any trip to the noodle house :D

Most bubble teas are powders, you can even buy (bulk size) packs of bubble tea mix.

Pho only sense to make at home when you're feeding a group, the recipe I did could easily feed 8 people. Making pho for 2 people is a total waste of time.

The base for pho is beef, star aniseed, and a bit of fish sauce. It a very clean yet still flavorful broth. served over noodles with whatever meats you choose, if you were to order, "pho with everything" you'd get what we made. Other options are chicken, and seafood or you can downsize th ebeef and only get 1 type of meat or 2... whatever makes you happy.

I think pho to most people is almost like chicken noodle soup to Americans, it's not the best thing out there but when you want it, nothing else can come close to it.

:werd: a noodle house craving can not be cured by anything else

i usually get a spicy combo bowl
comes with just about everything, beef, pork, chicken, squid, tofu, and the ever mysterious "fish ball"... then there are the standard greens and sprouts, and the noodles, they put a spicy oil in it, and its actually pretty hot (they dont "white boy" it on you) :)

damnit now im gunna have to head there tomorrow

I hate when that happens, we did Pho 2 days in a row, dinner, lunch and dinner again. 3 times in 2 days... it was just one of those... had to have things at the time.

mrs taco would love to eat at your place....

:werd: a noodle house craving can not be cured by anything else

i usually get a spicy combo bowl
comes with just about everything, beef, pork, chicken, squid, tofu, and the ever mysterious "fish ball"... then there are the standard greens and sprouts, and the noodles, they put a spicy oil in it, and its actually pretty hot (they dont "white boy" it on you) :)

Fish ball or is it the white pork ball?

That oil you're talking about, the restaurants here just have it on the table as condiment(has like peppers in there too). It's "ground chili garlic oil". I buy the "big" jars of those for home.

So, having never cooked with tendons, what do they do? Add flavor? I'd assume chewing them wouldn't be any fun.

So, having never cooked with tendons, what do they do? Add flavor? I'd assume chewing them wouldn't be any fun.

They get soft, they have little flavor but take in flavors of everything else around it, I believe they were used because as with most countries outside of the US, you don't throw chit away. You eat every thing since food doesn't always come easy.

Anywho, texture wise... think of little bubble tea balls in the form of squares. Almost like a dense piece of jello.

not chewy in the least bit.

Back