for the firefox lovers...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

95b16coupe

Serious flaw in Internet Explorer not fixed yet (AP) by AP: Yahoo! Tech

SAN FRANCISCO - Users of all current versions of Microsoft Corp.'s Internet Explorer browser might be vulnerable to having their computers hijacked because of a serious security hole in the software that had yet to be fixed Monday.
The flaw lets criminals commandeer victims' machines merely by tricking them into visiting Web sites tainted with malicious programming code. As many as 10,000 sites have been compromised since last week to exploit the browser flaw, according to antivirus software maker Trend Micro Inc.
The sites are mostly Chinese and have been serving up programs that steal passwords for computer games, which can be sold for money on the black market. However, the hole is such that it could be "adopted by more financially motivated criminals for more serious mayhem — that's a big fear right now," Paul Ferguson, a Trend Micro security researcher, said Monday.
"Zero-day" vulnerabilities like this are security holes that haven't been repaired by the software makers. They're a gold mine for criminals because users have few ways to fight off attacks.
The latest vulnerability is noteworthy because Internet Explorer is the default browser for most of the world's computers. Also, while Microsoft says it has detected attacks only against version 7 of Internet Explorer, which is the most widely used edition, the company warned that other versions are also potentially vulnerable.
Microsoft said it is investigating the flaw and is considering fixing it through an emergency software patch outside of its normal monthly updates, but declined further comment. The company is telling users to employ a series of complicated workarounds to minimize the threat.
Many security experts, meanwhile, are urging Internet Explorer users to use another browser until a patch is released.

me either.... only time i open it up is to bug fix layout problems cuz ie can't follow standards.

This is no surprise. I also haven't used IE in probably 6 or 7 years, they just can't seem to get their shit together.

they have bulletins like this every week.
yeah they do this is true turb. and i always had wondered if that type of thing were possible, the whole stealing passwords thru web page code.. hmmm

good thing i'm paranoid. i stopped using ie last year when it made my laptop crash and burn multiple times.

In my opinion all this proves is more idiots use IE than FF. Just wait, as the market share for FF increases so will the amount of vulnerabilitys. Using FF, Chrome, Opera etc does not protect you from being a dumbass online. 98% of the population online falls into the "I surf like a dumbass" category. The other browsers have faults as well, but they arnt as fun to smear as MS is. All of this is comming from someone who uses FF every single day, minus at work.

Anyone using google chrome? I'm giving it a go. Seem ok so far. Most of Google's stuff is pretty good.

Anyone using google chrome? I'm giving it a go. Seem ok so far. Most of Google's stuff is pretty good.

I played with it for a few days, but I have gotten used to my FF add ons so I gave it up haha. It is a pretty polished browser though. My biggest reason for supporting "third party" browsers is that most of them actually adhear to standards. So a properly coded website will function that much better. I am sure B and the other code monkeys here can regal us will all kinds of stories about IE butchering their sites.

i dont like chroe either... i need my FF plugins to function.

ie7 isn't too too bad... nice 1st try at standards. Kinda like GM. nice try at building cars. you still failed.
ie6 is absolute junk... like yugo junk.

FF is the Veryon of browsers :)

FF is the Veryon of browsers :)

I'm using chrome still since the day of release. It's fast as fuck lol. FF Veyron of browsers my ass. Chrome does multiple threads, and it's always very responsive. Atleast on my computer it's faster than firefox. I like a minimalistic type browser though, no plugins for me, so this suits me well. Plus I don't lose my post of there's a network issue and posting a quick reply fails.

Sometimes I notice though, some websites only work correctly with IE, never firefox or chrome. So I hope they fix it. But really I don't do much exploratory browsing so I don't think I'm at risk.

chrome is also much faster on my laptop than firefox (trillian and firefox do not play nice sometimes) but as with everyone else i love my add-ons.

me either.... only time i open it up is to bug fix layout problems cuz ie can't follow standards.

I remember when I was using Mozilla 0.9.5 released (12 October 2001)prior to the 1.0 release in 2002, you laughed at me for using it. Now it's Firefox 3 and everyone loves it. and don't forget about the lovely adblock plus plugin.

Back