Free College in NY

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Glad I don't live there. Although I would take some I-don't-have-to-pay-for-it-and-i'll-make-someone-else-buy-my-education college.

The problem with "going to college" is that it is already paid for with way to easy to get money for way to easy to get/not needed degrees. Tuition went up as soon as the government decided to make it accessible to just about everyone who could fill out paperwork.

I'm torn on this. On one hand, as a military veteran, I had the GI bill. The economics of the GI bill show that vets who use the GI bill for education pay higher taxes 5:1 than those who don't. On the other hand, kids are fucking idiots and squander any opportunity that is just GIVEN to them.

I'd be ok if this was for STEM degree or if kids had to pay back the "scholarship" for any classes below a 3.0 or whatever.

This is really not as "crazy" as you think it is. It excludes private schools, excludes people who get Pell Grants, does not account for fees or room and board, and you have to work in the state of New York for the same number of years you received assistance.

When you look at the actual details of the bill, instead of just the headline, you can see there's nothing radical about it. Even if you qualify for the program and live at home, you will still end up paying a few thousand a year in fees.

TLDR: Free tuition does not equal free college education.

Still adding to the problem. There should also be specific degree stipulations attached to that bill. The reason tuition is so "expensive" is the "free" money already involved in higher education. Take that money away = less students. Less students = more competitive tuition so those students come to your institution. We need to start looking at better savings plans for students BEFORE going to college if college is the route they choose. I cannot tell you how many students I have had that are forced (by family ideals) into a 4 year school only to either drop out or get a degree in something that is not fulfilling for them only to realize they lost thousands and are starting over. That is an expensive lesson.

Still adding to the problem. There should also be specific degree stipulations attached to that bill. The reason tuition is so "expensive" is the "free" money already involved in higher education. Take that money away = less students. Less students = more competitive tuition so those students come to your institution. We need to start looking at better savings plans for students BEFORE going to college if college is the route they choose. I cannot tell you how many students I have had that are forced (by family ideals) into a 4 year school only to either drop out or get a degree in something that is not fulfilling for them only to realize they lost thousands and are starting over. That is an expensive lesson.

As with any investment in life, stocks, house, education, etc., you have to understand the value and the strategy. If your kid is really stupid and just wants to wrench on cars, trying to send him to Harvard is a waste of time and money.

Speaking of poor choices. I went to the dentist today. The front desk admin has a b.a. in urban development. Good job on that degree from a top tier school. Now she makes maybe $18/hour.

Was she hot though?

Look buddy. Her personal value shouldn't be measured by her appearance nor should her skills be judged on what she looks like. She is an educated, articulate, and well mannered human being.

Who am I kidding. The broad was really hot and had great tits.

caitlin.jpg

Dentists can afford trophy wives. She's got the game all figured out already.
5 years tops she'll be a stay at home mom.
Also, 2 gold stars for the picture posting before TTIWWOP. Well played.

Dentists can afford trophy wives. She's got the game all figured out already.
5 years tops she'll be a stay at home mom.
Also, 2 gold stars for the picture posting before TTIWWOP. Well played.
The dentist office is ALL female. It's amazing. And they didn't kill me while they did the fillings. win/win today.

I choose all medical facilities based on the attractiveness of the help. Gives me something to look at and fantasize about while in the waiting room.

this one went to school 12 miles from me. (Bard)
DrKolia2011.jpg

Stalker level = Expert

She doesn't look that good in person, definitely looks older than that. She has lots of energy and is pretty cool though. Has an awesome accent too.

it wasn't difficult... you linked right to their website with your image lol.
I had to check out the all women dental staff.

So I wonder if their website will report back a ton of traffic coming from HS?

Back