Friends GSR Turbo BROKEN INTO!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HollowJDM

The other night my friend blew his oil pump and was parked at our local shop waiting repairs. the very next night someone got to it. they smashed out the passenger window and the driver side quarter window, stole his nx 10lb bottle, cd player, and air filter...air filter? strange thing is they stole the cd player, but took the cd out of it and set it in the seat, oh and they also stole all the other cd's. then they took his air filter, but left the hose clamp. about a year ago his car had the cd player stolen out of it from the same shop. his quarter panel is damaged from where whatever they busted the windows with must have bounced and beat the quarter. the sucky thing is this is the second year in a row that something has prevented his from taking his car to the slammin and jammin car show in lebanon tn. this goes back to that post about gsr insurance and someone said they get broken into a lot so the insurance is high... well i guess they were right. if anyone is somewhat local to knoxville area or sevierville tn specifically please let me know if you hear or see anything that may be related to this event.
oh ya, they also got to a camaro which was owned by a pigeon forge officer... big mistake. and get this, the shop is not responsible for the theft?? is that possible being as the car was behind a locked gate?

So, is the shop going to pay for it, since they obviously have some issues protecting vehicles that have been placed under their care. Or are they the typical "We claim no responisbilty, even though you are paying us to perform a service on your car" kind of place?

well, the camaro was under possesion of the audio department, and the owner is taking full responsibility willingly. Now as for the GSR, that was under the possesion of the Mechanics garage section, and the owner sais he not held responsible for theft or fire. he sais as long as the car is outside of one of his bays he has no control over it. i find it to be bullshit but ive also had people tell me its posible for a garage to have that right. sounds crappy to me.

Were you informed of this "waived responsibility" prior to the breakin?

Besides, if the car was in locked storage maintained by the shop, they are still responsible because it was in their locked storage. When you relinquish care of your vehicle to the shop, they have a responsibility to care for the vehicle until its' return to the owner. If it was harmed (or broken into) while in the care of the shop, the shop should pay for the damages/stolen items.

He's probably just saying that because he doesn't have theft or fire insurance and doesn't want to pay out of his pocket.

he has a sign up saying "not responsible for theft or fire" but who knows. my friends insurance company i think was sending a lawyer down to resolve the situation. one way or another his car is getting fixed, but i just think its fucked up that :anonymous mechanic: isnt taking responsibility for this shit. everything will be settled within the next week or so. just thought id put the word out if anyone local comes across some similar stuff.
NX 5lb bottle white
JVC? cd player (may still have the stock gsr piece that goes around it, they took the whole thing.
they also took an air filter, but im not going to complain about an air filter.
lemme know if anyone finds anything, cuz ya never know...

That is crap. If you give them your car, and they park it in their lot, and it gets broken in to, they are responsible. If you park it there and someone steals stuff from it, then you are responsible, but the fact that it was in their possession and in their gated area means it's their responsibility. Cause they have a duty to their customer to protect their cars. And if this isn't the first time, it's obvious that the shop is not the best place to take your car. I would say "F*** them and find a new shop". I would rather pay a little more somewhere else, than have my car broken in to and have to pay all that crap too.

welllll we have intercrew. If you havent been out to those guy's shop they are pretty cool. Looking at getting some new headers and just wanted to see what they could get me. Really great guys great customer service, if you need performance parts, give em a shot if you live in the DFW area

my family owns a car repair shop and like it or not, the shop owner is not responsible for stolen items while they are servicing the car... at least not in michigan...

we have a locked and fenced/barb wire storage lot, but sometimes people will go in a take change and shit out of cars... it's something that can't be avoided.. luckily we've never had any really serious break-ins there.

that is what insurance is for... michigan has no fault insurance.. so if someone rear ends you and all you have is personal liability/property damage.. you are the one who is fucked for not having full coverage.. that's just the risk you take as a driver

i hate the no fault law myself... i've only been able to afford PLPD until i got the S2000.. no fucking way that will not have full coverage.

the same theory goes for the shop/break in scenario... if you have full coverage.. insurance will cover it. that's what you pay for.

Originally posted by reikoshea@May 22 2005, 09:38 PM
welllll we have intercrew. If you havent been out to those guy's shop they are pretty cool. Looking at getting some new headers and just wanted to see what they could get me. Really great guys great customer service, if you need performance parts, give em a shot if you live in the DFW area
[post=502375]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah once I have money, and know what parts need to go in, I will probably give those guys a visit

Back