Fuel Additives

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Xaero3953

Rest In Peace
I took a cab today to work and the fkn guy who was driving, (45 min late) told me that he had been adding acetone into his fuel and was getting really good mpg increases. He said some people claim 35% mpg increase. Something about helping the gasoline evaporate quicker or something.

Is there any validitity...er...truth to this, or was he feeding me total Bullsh*t?

acetone helps, if i can remember the link, i'd post it, but u can look it up on google and find some articles about it

I've tried it a few times, got like 20 more miles outta my camry?

so yea...works different for others

This has been discussed at some length in my local Subaru forum. There were a couple of other links posted as well. You have to be pretty exact about how much you add, but you'll see nowhere near a 35% increase in fuel economy.

I've been using it for about 5 tanks of gas now. The first three, the gains were zero to minimal. The 4th tank, I got some HORRID gas mileage. I don't know what caused it - bad gas, too much acetone, etc. So I told myself, I'll try it for two more tanks, and if I don't see an improvement, I'll just quit it.

I WILL say, however - I feel very strongly that adding acetone helped me pass emissions. I'm running a custom tune on my WRX making a decent amount of power, with only one high-flow cat (WRX's have three from the factory). I expected my emissions readings to be close to the limit....nope! I passed with flying colors. Acetone supposedly helps the fuel burn cleaner and more efficiently, and THAT part I believe.

Higher octane doesn't exactly mean better. If you adjust your timing to take advantage of the higher octane then yes you will see more power and effeciency. If you don't adjust your timing to take advantage of it you probably will lose a little power/effeciency.

It won't eat your gas tank or your lines. You're adding an ounce or two of acetone per 10 or 15 gallons of gas. Talk about diluted.

Additionally, the guy in the article I quoted above did an experiment where he took some fuel line and let it sit around in a bucket of acetone for a ridiculously long amount of time. No corrosion to speak of.

Back