Funy idle

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Clark Wilcox

Hello, I have a problem with my 97 HB. Background: stock, w/at, failed smog due to high CO. Replaced MAP sensor, O2 sensors, temp sensor, TPS sensor and it just passed the second time. Now has a funny idle when warm. It will idle fine for a while then has a "burble" and returns to normal but will keep doing this. I've checked for vacuum leaks by spraying carb cleaner around hoses with no change. Any suggestions or answers would be appreciated. Thanks, Clark.

thanks for the replies. will try to burp the coolant. also, in describing the problem it appears to be a small back-fire. when listening to the exhaust it makes a muffled pop at the same time the engine stumbles. i pulled off the lead to the IACV and the engine surged but went back to the same condition when re-attached. any more thoughts? Thanks, clark

Bleed the coolant (like was already stated)

IACV unplugged (at running temp) should make idle fall on its face to about 500rpm (little less).

If burp/bleed don't work, I would take off the IACV and see if it's all gunked up. A soak in carb cleaner may fix it. IACV usually start acting up at running temp (hunting idle up and down).

Next (IMO) check the calibration on the TPS with a multimeter for volts at closed and wide open throttle.

Good luck in your search. It's always a bitch until you figure it out. I always hated that.

Edit: tell us more about the parts you bought. OEM?

Also...my 500rpm with IACV unplugged comment is not based on AT. I know a hole lotta nothing about Auto Hondas. It is probably different for you.

Last edited:
I have this same problem.. i did a lot of stuff in my car.. replaced the engine.. i haven't done the relearning of the tps.. but my car.. when i plug off the Map Sensor.. the rpms stabilize.. also the car doest go more than 5.500 rpm when i acelerate... any one has any idea on what can be ?

Back