FWD to RWD coversion

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i saw a CRX that was converted to AWD using the CRV tranny. he did a good job on it, and didnt have to do TOO much custom work(but there was quite a bit). he mated the CRV tranny to a b18c/t setup. i dont really know much more about it but i think the owner was happy with the result. the only problem i remember about it was that he had a lot of ground clearnce issues with the rear subframe he used. it was really low. im sure someone on here has the link to it, i dont remmeber it.

That's different, though, as the engine/ tranny mounts didn't have to be screwed with, and you didn't have to make a transmission tunnel, and the CRV tranny only puts about 10% power to the rear wheels, so you don't have to worry about the stock suspension points ripping out under load.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Sep 23 2003, 12:04 AM
That's different, though, as the engine/ tranny mounts didn't have to be screwed with, and you didn't have to make a transmission tunnel, and the CRV tranny only puts about 10% power to the rear wheels, so you don't have to worry about the stock suspension points ripping out under load.

i know, i was just stating facts. but he did use a rear subframe for it, im sure it helped support it more. jsut some food for thought. if he wanted to undergo a similar project he could check it out so he wouldnt have to deal with trying to mount the engine in the back and fucking with everying structurally.

He'd need a subframe to hold the rear diff in. He can't really just duct tape it in. My point: That swap is easy because it still uses a transverse engine/ tranny layout, and because it doesn't put any real power to the rear, you don't have to make a real rear subframe. And what's worse is that anything over ~175 HP and that rear diff will be dead. So is that swap worth it, when you can't really put any power to the rear, let alone make any real power at the crank? Probably not.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Sep 23 2003, 12:09 AM
He'd need a subframe to hold the rear diff in. He can't really just duct tape it in. My point: That swap is easy because it still uses a transverse engine/ tranny layout, and because it doesn't put any real power to the rear, you don't have to make a real rear subframe. And what's worse is that anything over ~175 HP and that rear diff will be dead. So is that swap worth it, when you can't really put any power to the rear, let alone make any real power at the crank? Probably not.

i edited my post. re-read it. he did use a rear subframe to hold the diff. im not sure which one, possibly modified from the crv but dont quote me on that. and with a b18c/t i think hes making more then enough power at the crank. i dont know the strength of those trannies, nor will i pretend that i do but im sure its possible to strengthen it up a bit to handle more power. im just saying that the guy was happy with it. and im just giving the guy who started the post some insight to what is out there for alternatives.

page 2 :owned:

A friend of mine just showed me the new issue of Honda Tuning. Apparently they are converting an integra to AWD purly for race. They used the CRV tranny and rear end. They made mounts for the diff at the rear that used the better part of the spare tire well. The trailing arms were modified to accept the crv hubs and on new mount needed to be fabricated for the rear upper tranny. Since i have a B18 at home on the stand and no tranny for it yet, im playing with the idea of putting on a crv tranny and putting that in my car over the winter until i get a chance to go about the rest of the project. The only thing i cant think of is were to get a manual crv tranny. In the article, they said that they left on the factory clutch, pressure plate and fly wheel so this means they have a manual setup, but ie never seen a manual crv. Has anyone else seen one?

Thanks

Originally posted by 90 accord@Sep 23 2003, 06:15 AM
there was a RWD v8 accord coupe? for sale opn ebay a while ago..

I saw that...I think it was in an Accord...

It was a small block 350 I know that...just wish i could figure out how they stuffed it under that hood.

Ive that car before, many times... and in Hondatuning Mag they are converting a Type R into all wheel drive using the CRV trans adn rear end... it's going pretty good... or so it is in the mag

Originally posted by Loco Honkey+Sep 22 2003, 10:09 PM-->
@Sep 22 2003, 10:08 PM
i've heard of Del Sol's converted to RWD with like H22's in them...but never anything like a civic.

Pics? Links? Magazine scans?

I didn't think so.

Here is the best I could find. I know there was an ad in a sport compact or some shit like that but here is the best I can find.

s3f727fd872c08.jpg

Originally posted by Loco Honkey+Sep 22 2003, 10:09 PM-->
@Sep 22 2003, 10:08 PM
i've heard of Del Sol's converted to RWD with like H22's in them...but never anything like a civic.

Pics? Links? Magazine scans?

I didn't think so.

And no nobody chopped the Super Street page. Just to further the ownage, I walked out to my car in my boxers to get my Super Street magazine so I could scan it and show you this:
s3f7287a4ecd21.jpg

Yeah I'd say that just about covers it...

where did loco honkey go? I wanted him to see this.

Oh yeah...TTT!

Back