Get your Banjo..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Celerity

CBInstall.jpg

My new CB install. For cruises, trips to Niagara and the such - Plus this is my highway machine for now. I have a CB in the truck (A better tuned Johnson Bearcat) but I figured I would toss this in the Civic for a neat little experiment..

I have no CB antenna. I've got my radio antenna dual-tuned for both FM (Of which I now pick up every station "on the dial") and the CB at 2 watts (peaking 4) with 1.5 SWR. It was REAL tough.

But I can use the CB and the radio at the same time, which I didn't expect. The CB noise is also very low. I can recieve from 45 miles away, and broadcast to just about 4 miles.

Also, I built a positive power buss to run my car accessories off. Fuse box, leads and everything but a ground make it simple to hardwire stuff like the radar detector and CB.

powerbuss.jpg

-> Steve

can your CB pick up police channels and such?

anyone know about police channel "detectors" or whatever you lwould call one of those listening devices?

and looking at that wiring job i think you should invest in a fire extinguisher :lol:

Mad ADM (Alabama Domestic Market) tight, fo sho!

I can see that being the new fad...look for it in APC's fall catalog.

Very nice, man, very nice :lol:

The positive power buss box needs to be moved. When I find the ideal location for it I'll loom the wires up. And of course, that thick wire on the outside of the dash is supposed to be there.

As far as "Police Detectors" Yes, they are made. Since the radio companies KNOW the police bands, they are contracted to not build radios that can access them. BUT, the police detectors (Like the Uniden Beartrackers, of which the BT3 has just been released) CAN find the bands.
Once you've found the band, you can not listen to it - But the unit has a light that glows when it hears anything on the frequency. Thus, alerting you that there is a cop nearby. To program the radio, you simply enter the state that you're in - and voila.

Again, you can't listen to the radio, but you know that it's there.

-> Steve

if you have a programable scanner that covers the frequencies that the police are on you can program in the channels and then you are able to listen to them

otherwise yes they just light up and beep to allert you of activity on the channel

i was thinking of putting a cb in my teg. I have one in my truck too, Im looking to get a cb/scanner combo for my car, so if i get pulled over the cop wont give me a ticket for having a scanner, ill just tell him its a cb.

...or since i have my ham radio(amateur radio) license I could put a ham radio in it, which I have one that scans police freqencys also.

For the consumer market, the FCC doesn't allow manufacturers to make CB / Scanner combo units. With the shortwave you can 11 meter and memorize "CB" channels, but bear in mind that broadcasting the 100 or so watts that your shortwave put out isn't .. Well.. Legal.

I seriously doubt anyone will give you balls about it.

There are new units out there that are the size of a radar detector - which is really what I want to install (See where my clock blank-out panel was ? That's where I want it) but they have forward firing microphone connectors, which i don't want.

This may not be my final attempt at this. I'm working on integrating a radar detector into the clock blank-out, but it's quite tough. I still need to make a dashboard sensor for it.

-> Steve

Changing the whole setup. CB is having contact with my knee, and the power box rubs my foot.

Instead of integrating a radar detector into the clock blank out, I'm gonna put the CB there. Or just cancel the whole thing in the Civic and put it in the Celica instead.

Back