getting a 87 civic hatch 4 free

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

NeonSXT

hi all this is my first time posting on the board and have a question I am getting a 87 civic hatch 4speed MTX for free from my father in law and want to make it strictly a drag car. I have a 2k2 Dodge Neon SXT (don't hate) that I will be using for a daily driver/show vehicle. I could tell you plenty about the neon but when it comes to honda and all there motors I know nothing....i've been reading all the reference material on this site and am trying to learn so why do you guys (and gals) think my best option would be for that particular car and what am I talking price wise for parts? If you can help me cool.

My recomendation, an OBD0 B16 (DOHC VTEC) or an OBD0 B18A (DOHC nonVTEC). The LSVTEC would be cool in there, but if you haven't worked rebuilt an engine before I would not reccomend it.

well the b16 vtec sounds good i think it would be a good starting platform...I will probably get the engine and build it up to handle some boost and possibly nitrous. what would you recommend for transmission seeing it only has a 4speed and would probably not work with the engine nore the added hp. thanks for the recommendation I will keep you all posted and i'm sure i'll have lots of questions on my mission but I figure i'm getting the car for free and it would save wear and tare on the neon so let me know thanks a lot!

get the full swap for the B16 it will come with all that stuff ... ECU axles tranny manifolds blah blah blah all that stuff
heres one for $1150

hey thanks guys that's not as expensive as I thought I think I will definatley do this....just out of curiousty that should make the car pretty quick with out any mods. am I right?

It depends on your def or pretty quick. It will be faster than most stock Civics.

Originally posted by NeonSXT@Nov 11 2002, 10:47 AM
hey thanks guys that's not as expensive as I thought I think I will definatley do this....just out of curiousty that should make the car pretty quick with out any mods. am I right?

that car is a fairly light car so a b16 sould be fine. If your are planning on running 11's just with a b16, i'll save you the grand and a half and say no. (i'll also probally point and laugh :p ) It all depends on how much you are willing to spend, and how well you tune it. If you put a turbo on it and really know how to tune it, you will be running some serious times but it cost alot of cash

Back