Getting Dual Hampster wheel VTEC SOL

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

asmallsol

Super Moderator
Alright, as everyone knows, I have been talking about swaping this and that, blah blah blah. I did alot of thinking, talking with my dad, reaserching and found that a swap isn't 100% for me. Reasons are as follows

Cost:
-Will cost in excess of 3k. I have spent about 5k on the car, 2k in suspension parts, so that would be close to 10k spent on this car.
-Have college coming up in a year, = lots of money and being broke. Start saving now.

Resale:
-You look on ebay, honda-tech, hondaswap, ect. and you see cars with swaps and they go for like nothing. Never anywere close to what the owner put into them.
-Performance parts normally kill the value of the car.

Insurance:
-If I get in a big accident and it f**ks my swap, the insurance company is only going to give me what a del sol SI is worth and not the 3-5k extra for what I paid for the swap.

AutoX reasons:
-I will still be in dsp, vs SM2. (opps did not tell you my plans yet, read on)

So my plans.

This friday, I am driving down south (about 2 hours away) to check out a del sol VTEC. The owner is a drivers Ed teacher and a Middle school teacher. The waterpump, timing belt, tires, and brakes have all been changed. 93000 miles, 94 sol, Millano red (great condition) asking 6500, I will try to buy it for 5500-6000.

So what am I going to do with my sol? Keep it for about a month after I buy the VTEC sol, put as many performance parts as possible from my white sol to the VTEC sol. Swaybar, teins, strut bars, intake, exhaust (if I can get that off), wheels, MP3 player, hell even my brand new Slivanya super uber bright bulbs (they were $20 a bulb) and my type aaRggggg Ebay special shift knob.

I am going to have a rare car soon. Only 7500 VTEC's were made, and alot of them are in shit condition, lots of miles, and sitting in a junk yard because some dumb ass rolled it.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Aug 12 2003, 07:48 PM
I am going to have a rare car soon. Only 7500 VTEC's were made.

My car is still rarer, muhahahhaha.

Unless the exhaust was custom welded on, you can take it off.

Del Sol VTEC are still slow, unless built to shit or boosted.

Decent price on the sol, tho--I doubt you can get him down to 6000.

i don't think its worth it.... but thats me.
why another honda? lol

Originally posted by asmallsol@Aug 12 2003, 07:48 PM
the insurance company is only going to give me what a del sol SI is worth and not the 3-5k extra for what I paid for the swap.

i really dont think thats true the deal i have w/ my insurance company (and im sure you can do it w/ yours) is that if you have receipts of what was on the car (sometimes they want picture proof that the part was on there) they will give you the money for it...also if someone else is the cause of the accident sue them for hte cost of the parts works out pretty good a friend of mine who had a Rex got smashed at an intersection and got an assload of money back on top of the 1500 that the rex was worth

but it all depends on your personal preference

congrats on the new Sol :D

nice man, i have one of those too :p
people may say they're slow, but they're lighter than the 99-00 si's, and it actually weighs the same as my coupe did, that thing wasn't too built and it was quick.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 12 2003, 09:23 PM
i don't think its worth it.... but thats me.
why another honda? lol

why another honda, your the admin of trhis site damnit, you have to like ondas or u cant be admin anymore.

!!! good luck, man! the magnets should look good on a red sol BTW, u got em for free cause paypal SUCKS.

Thanks for them. I still use them when I am at scca events (but scca sucks lol. See the color choise still work.

Del Sol VTEC are still slow, unless built to shit or boosted

Nick, all hondas are slow at straight lining. That is what domestics are for. Where else can you get into the 10's NA with less then 20420984092082059805xmillion dollars. Hondas are good for 2 things, good gas millage and handling. For autoX, I will be pretty much the fastest car in the DSP class for my region. Only one that gives me a good run for my money is a guy with a 3 series BMW

Well It ended up being a bust. Get there, from a desitance it looked great, red, no spoiler, no aftermarket crap. Get up close, The hood looks like an off color pink, while the fenders are still dark red. Then to the interior. Pretty clean, except for the fact the the seat was ripped to hell (because she only has a 3 mile drive to school thus you get in and out of the car alot) Also, a prob with the del sol is were the built in arm rest is on the door, the tend to crease because the glue seperates. Well mine with 1470000 miles on has it a little bit, hers had it alot. Now for under the hood. There had to be an inch of dirt on top of the engine. Then on the front of the block, a pretty big oil leak. Looked like it was coming from the exhaust cam seal. Test drive, it drove fine. Pretty fast, felt faster then a GSR. Tranny felt good, same with the shift linkages. The clutch felt nice an firm for an OEM clutch (alot better then mine) but it deffently need adjustment. There was a good 4 inches of pedal play. The activation point was right at the top. Tires were new but POS brand, I chirped them going into third and turn the corner at more then 10mph, you heard a loud squeal. Nothing like the SO3.

Now for the funny part, to check for bad CV joints, you drive in a circle at mild speeds and if you hear any clicking, then there bad. So I find a big parking lot (hard to find in a small town) then I start doing it, left, right, no clicking. Cool, now I want to have some fun, floor it, and just do circles (felt a litte OVERSTEER at times) So I pull out of the parking lot and this big pickup pulls in front of me. Asks why I was doing "Doughnuts" I told him my reasoning and he goes "This is a brand new parking lot, laid last week, you better get the hell out of here before I tell the cops" I bolt.

Now for the final test, Compression test. I test cyclinder #4 first. 150-55 psi :( #3 170 :( #2 165 :( 175

That is what happens when you only drive your car short distances. My sol which has alot lower compression then her was 165 in almost every cyclinder.

So the search goes on.

bah that sucks. All the red colors tend to fade like that.... but the dirt is not called for. good mve staying away

I may also start looking at nissans. What years was the S13? How fast are they in stock form. Right now I am not looking to swap or mod anything up too much. If I got the del Sol VTEC, all I would do would be clutch, flywheel, header, intake, exhaust, cat, and all the stuff I have on my sol. No turbo, no cams, pistons, ect. Trying to keep the thing close to stock so when time comes to sell it a few years down the road, I dont have to do much.

i love the s13. it was made from 89-94, with the 91-94s being the better models, dohc motor, and no need to swap over the power power sterring pump stuff if doing an sr20 swap. out of th ebox, its faster than my sol si is, at least after 60mph. lots of torque.

again, werd on SCC this month. All the 240 tech/swap info you can shake a stick at. Even info on how to swap in/get rid of the crap ass open diff that they come with.

Back