Got an Unnecesary Noise ticket.....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

adnoh

Well, just got my first ticket with the Hatch ...... a fucking noise violation in the middle of a very busy street. $110 cdn. It just pisses me off because there is no decibel limit up here, it's just up to the descresion of the officer. I've been followed by cops tons of times, but never been bothered about it.

Anyways, just needed your guys opinion. The officer told me that if I can somehow fix the problem (buying a silencer, ect...) within two weeks, then I could make an appointment with the procecutor and do something about the ticket. Whether that means drop the fine totally, or lessen it, I don't know. So thats one option.

I did, however, find a mistake on my ticket. Under the vehicle information section of the ticket, he appearently thought my 93 hatch was a 2006... basically read Plate number, make: HON, Year: 06

Now it's my understanding that if the officer makes one mistake on the ticket, it's void. My registration says right on it that it's a 1993.... he took my registration back to the car to issue the ticket. Do you guys think I could get this one tossed? I'm going to get the silencer anyways or I'm just going to get another ticket, but just so I don't have to argue with the procecutor about it, because I've been through that before and it's annoying as fuck.

What do you think?

I wouldn't try to get anything tossed without a lawyer being there to actually SUGGEST the tossing of the ticket. for you to suggest it is in poor taste and overall, ignored by the courts.

I would also look around for a used muffler and weld-er-up for a bit.

i dont know canadian laws...

generally a mistake on a ticket won't get you a damn thing... untimately, you go to court, and its the cops word vs yours..... and you're a piece of shit compared to a cop.

but for 100 canadian.... thats what, 70 us? thats not even worth my time to post up this thread.
write a check, mail it, call it a day.

its not worth the day off of work to go to court for it IMO

My buddy had a noise ticket for no cat/exhaust on, and the cop told him the same thing. (Go get it fixed)
All he had to do was fax a copy of the receipt for the cat/exhaust labor to the officer and they threw the ticket away or out or whatever.
I say just fix it, and try to get it dropped before the court date... that will save you from the future dickhead cops too.

Quoted post[/post]]
i dont know canadian laws...

generally a mistake on a ticket won't get you a damn thing... untimately, you go to court, and its the cops word vs yours..... and you're a piece of shit compared to a cop.

but for 100 canadian.... thats what, 70 us? thats not even worth my time to post up this thread.
write a check, mail it, call it a day.

its not worth the day off of work to go to court for it IMO

$100 is $100, Brian.

I might just go the fixing route, seems to be the way. But as far as I know, a mistake on a ticket up here is grounds for voiding.

btw, anyone know of a silencer that'll fit a 5" round Magnaflow tip? Magnaflow doesnt make one.

what will cost more? pay the ticket vs. getting it fixed. do some legal research. it is all online. if they have noise violation it can't be legally up to the officers dicretion. a cop can't say, "well it's louder than i like so i'll write a ticket". laws are all in black in white.

the two laws i have researched are
1)nothing over XX decibels. (which must be measured)
2)you will have NO aftermarket exhaust modification. factory only. (which is pretty visual, that's why you get a stock looking exhaust)

I have faught the no aftermarket law but i still lost. do the research. but my advice is to pay the ticket and forget it.

CARB numbers also help in your fight. I run (ran) a supertrapp on the CRX and believe me, that got me more looks from authorities than you can imagine.

I hear ya about the legal-look thing. I have 2.5 on my Civic, cat back with a dynomax and a pepboys tip. It's loud, but the tailpipe looks just slightly over stock (2 7/8ths") and it's black. The Civic is louder than the CRX, but gets no questions from authorities.

i dunno of where you could BUY one, but the concept is very simple

i would use some back yard engineering just to get you in safe before the 2 weeks is up...

in NY you have until the next days sunset, which is usually 24 hours or less depending on when you got the ticket...
i used to get banged out at 9+pm on my way home from work after school, then i'd have to go home, fix it and still be up for am classes...
that sucked...

canadian laws may be different but i see the judge being lenient since the calendar year is 06

yea not sure on the laws up there but in nj a mistake doesnt mean shit. first time i tried to do it the clerk took the ticket to look at it, fixed it, and handed it back. then had the balls to say,"there you go, i fixed it for you."

the best way to get out of tickets like that is to know a few cops or at least support the local pba and show your support (ussually with a sticker or something).

thanks to this thread i just realized i have a warrant for a parking ticket as of yesterday...shit, better go pay that.

Quoted post[/post]]
CARB numbers also help in your fight. I run (ran) a supertrapp on the CRX and believe me, that got me more looks from authorities than you can imagine.

I hear ya about the legal-look thing. I have 2.5 on my Civic, cat back with a dynomax and a pepboys tip. It's loud, but the tailpipe looks just slightly over stock (2 7/8ths") and it's black. The Civic is louder than the CRX, but gets no questions from authorities.
your civic isnt loud! the mirage drowns that shit out. i never get fucked with, but then again ive got a stock 1.8 exhaust on my 1.5.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

your civic isnt loud! the mirage drowns that shit out. i never get fucked with, but then again ive got a stock 1.8 exhaust on my 1.5.

Hah.. we'll see on Saturday.

um ya the law up here is up to the officers descretion. Teh laws state too loud. but offer no deffinition of loud.

I wouldn't rely on the ticket mistakes to help you out. I got underage consumption of alcohol last January and my ticket was ALLLL fucked up. The cop wrote down that i was a female from VA and i was 17. When in reality im a dude from TN and at the time 19. The judge didn't even pay attention when it was brought forward and fined me without second thought.

thanks for replies, I think I'm just going to fix it and get the ticket dropped, or fight it until I do. I think it's totally lame that there is no dB level up here, and any cop in a bad mood can give you a ticket for it. But cest la vie!

But still ..... are silencers universal? I need one for a 5" tip (a 5" was not my choice, I just bought he magnaflow cat back for my car and thats what it came with)

thanks guys.

the typical silencer is not universal

a silencer is a piece of metal that blocks off the exhaust with a smaller tube in it to limit the flow...

you can make one yourself using conduit, or any metal pipe, plus the bottom of a large coffee can...

slam pipe through the center of the coffee can, pipe should go into the exhaust at least 6 inches so there is an area for the sound to be trapped

then you can make it even quieter by using fiberglass insulation wrapped around the pipe and held in place with mechanics wire...

this is a short term solution...

Homemade <span style="color:#33CC00">Red</span> <span style="color:#FF0000">Green</span> glasspack for teh w1n !

Homemade would be an idea, but in order to get my ticket reduced, I have to show them the reciept of a silencer. Maybe I'll just have to replace the entire muffler, which blows because I actually dont mind it, and it's almost brand new. Then I'll just have to pick up a diffrent muffler and weld 'er on, and sell the Magnaflow...one that is much quieter, like the APEXi WS or equivelent...something stock looking. Anyone want to buy my Magnaflow Polished stainless muffler? It's mint! And really deep sounding!

Man, I'm definately having one of those days where I'm wanting to get rid of the hatch and buy my CLK320 finally .... I don't know if I can hold off much longer....

CLK230 Egg-Klasse :)

I was thinking of getting one of those as a hatch replacement.

Describe the sound of this muffler, I may have to give it a look.

Back