got my rom burner and dataloging stuff

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GSRCRXsi

Super Moderator
VIP
ok well the other day i got my rom burner and datalogging stuff from xenocron.com. very good prices and service btw, the owner has been very helpful :).

anyway i picked up the willem dual power rom burner. seen here:
gallery_1242_412_16913.jpg

now the first problem im having is erasing a chip thats already been burned. the chips im using are the SST 27SF512 chips. i know these are eraseable. when i try to erase them, the burner tells me something about the jumpers and something about 12.75V. im guessing i need the AC adapter hooked up? also it doesnt tell me what jumpers to change or how to arrange them, just that they need to be moved.

next problem im having is with the rom burner burning the chips. now this could be an issue with uberdata or something too but i dont know. ive tried burning a few chips just to test it out and make sure im doing it right. i burned a stock gsr map and disabled the knock sensor (because im using a p28) and disabled closed loop (because i want to datalog). well i popped the chip into the ecu and turned the key to ON to check it before starting the engine. cel stays on. i go to check it and its just solid, great. i start the engine and it almost doesnt want to start, but does without much hassle. idle is pretty rough. revving it up i can see and smell smoke from the exhaust and it back fires pretty good, so im guessing the solid cell is causing it to dump tons of fuel and retard timing. so i try another chip same stock gsr map, except i left the closed loop on and still disabled knock sensor. put it in, same thing.

onto datalogging issues.

im using uberdata 1.7. i first tried to dataloglog with my chip that i had burned for me from a guy on h-t. i have no idea what program he used or what kind of chip hes using so i couldnt really copy the map off the chip. i hooked up the cable and it just gives me rediculous numbers. it does the same exact thing with the cable completely unhooked so maybe its just an issue with my port settings? i dont think its a problem with my soldering job, it looks fine to me. ill let you be the judge

gallery_1242_412_20009.jpg

gallery_1242_412_44905.jpg

gallery_1242_412_31214.jpg

gallery_1242_412_91312.jpg

gallery_1242_412_70168.jpg

gallery_1242_412_2788.jpg

gallery_1242_412_46170.jpg

any help is appreciated. also i dont know what the fuck is with http://uberdata.pgmfi.org but i cant log on for the life of me. ive tried making a new username for the longest time but it keeps just giving me an error. its so frustrating, cause i wish i could post this there.

http://uberdata.pgmfi.org/forum/index.php?...y;threadid=2588

if you post simple questions on this forum you will just get flamed worse than any other site. Read the faq and other newb info.

try that for some beginner info and just go to the newbies q and a for a lot of help with your projects.

also there may be a possiblity of you not removing the solder properly and its touching still, did you use the vaccum remover thing.

Originally posted by vtecsir1+Jul 3 2005, 06:12 PM-->
http://uberdata.pgmfi.org/forum/index.php?...y;threadid=2588

if you post simple questions on this forum you will just get flamed worse than any other site. Read the faq and other newb info.

try that for some beginner info and just go to the newbies q and a for a lot of help with your projects.

also there may be a possiblity of you not removing the solder properly and its touching still, did you use the vaccum remover thing.
[post=520239]Quoted post[/post]​
did you read my last sentence? for some reason i cant log onto that site. ive tried like 8736245274284 times but i just get an error. hence why im posting it here. also ive read all the facts and newb info but it doesnt help me specifically with my problems. i have learned lots of other info that got me to this point.

nfn15037
@Jul 3 2005, 06:21 PM
Did you cut J12 on the ECU?
[post=520243]Quoted post[/post]​

what do you mean? i didnt chip the ecu. i had it done. and its worked flawlessly with the chips i got when it was chipped, but the chips ive burned dont work.

well was it set up for data logging before by the previous chipper?

edit: i am a member and i cant log in just so you know

i dont know. im guessing not since i didnt tell him to. but how exactly do you setup datalogging in the bin file? i was under the impression that all you had to do was disable closed loop and you could datalog. if theres something else i have to do please let me know. thats kinda what this thread is for.

chip burning/erasing problems are fixed. i had to redo some jumper settings for the erase, and since im using a 512 chip, i had to change the offset to 8000. now my chips i burn are fine :)

now i just need to fix the datalogging issue(s)

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Jul 3 2005, 06:54 PM
i dont know. im guessing not since i didnt tell him to. but how exactly do you setup datalogging in the bin file? i was under the impression that all you had to do was disable closed loop and you could datalog. if theres something else i have to do please let me know. thats kinda what this thread is for.
[post=520252]Quoted post[/post]​

i read about this on uberdata's site but i cant log on, you cant access some files if you cant logon which im sure you know.

Open loop does not have to be disabled to datalog, (at least not in Crome or any other datalogging thing I have used). Anyways, the jumper J12 needs to be removed from the board.

MVC-001F.JPG

J12 is towards the bottom left of the board, cut it out if it is not already.

the only j12 i see in that pic and on my board has a resistor right next to it. but if you missed it i fixed the burning problem. i had to change the offset in the rom burning program cause my chips are 512's rather then 256's.

i fixed the datalogging today too. aparently the instructions are wrong (or VERY misleading) and basically said to wire it up backwards on the 4-pin header. so i switched it all around and everything works now.

J12 is not a resistor, it is a jumper and needs to be removed inm order for datalogging to work properly.

Back