Grinding...I think my transmission is finally crapping out

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Citizen_Insane

So recently (within the last 2 days) my car started making a weird noise kinda like a bad axle joint, but it's only happening with the clutch engaged in second gear. Its RPM dependent and when I push in the clutch it goes away. Its a b16a Sir tranny that I've had in the car since I did my swap a few years ago. I've been avoiding 2nd gear in an attempt to prevent aggravating the problem. With spring break coming up, I'm thinking of dropping my tranny and rebuilding it. I know it needs new seals and stuff since it leaks a little bit and at the same time I'm thinking of swapping in an LS 5th gear for better highway mileage (the car isn't tracked, just AutoX so 5th doesn't matter). From my description can anyone help me pinpoint the problem and confirm that I need to rebuild?

sounds like the syncs on the 2nd are gone. could replace the gear for about 350 + labor. Some times its worth swaping jdm for a little bit more. also if you try to accellerate hard in second and it slips out the its definate the brass syncs

Hm...any second opinions? If I do replace it, I'll do the labor myself and source the parts from another transmission, no way I'm spending $350 on a tranny worth less than $700. I really don't understand your JDM comment...my transmission is from Japan. Anyone ever done their own synchros before? Think that this would be more or less difficult than building a motor?

I've done synchros, etc. in a DOHC ZC transmission(d-series). Very simple and straight-through process. Just make sure you have a manual on hand. To me, its easier than building an engine because less clearances and nuts/bolts to deal with

Thanks man, thats what I like to hear. I guess this is my spring break project :)

I've read that the SiR transmission uses the same syncros as the cable LS transmission is this correct?

Back