Gsr Vs B18b

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

EdrikLongtail

Hello, After a few things over specs and stuff i started to think and could ue some input befor i get pist off and probly make a mistake here and then lose intrest and become a honda nazi :p

Im thinking about doing a 93 del sol, LS engine or gsr engine. I was thinking about doing the LS because well their somewhat a dime a dozen and that they are cheap and because low compression ratio i could ram as much boost as i could with built internals

I know GSR got high compression ratio a little higher then the LS but its also got that High end power from the vtec. but its also expensive

I wana be able to run boost, and im not worried about smog or emssions. But i wana be able try to keep it to obd-I and kind of do the engine swap kind of cheap untill i can put a junkyard turbo and build from their..

this would be alot of help :worthy: (plz mind the spelling)

if you have the funds, i would get the gsr. (i just love vtec!) :p the ls is a great platform to start off on and in addition, you want to go boost as well, so you're all good. that is a very boost friendly motor because of the low compression that it has. (dont know off the top of my head)

about doing your turbo. screw the half assing. if you want to boost, boost it right. go all out, save your money and you'll be happier in the long run.

Save some more money and get the GSR,it is a all around better motor for both applications.

but isent gsr obd-II or that only after a certain year.. which isent i can't remeber but i remeber reading gsr are obd-II i think it was hybird or so.com

Originally posted by EdrikLongtail@Mar 21 2003, 03:40 AM
but isent gsr obd-II or that only after a certain year.. which isent i can't remeber but i remeber reading gsr are obd-II i think it was hybird or so.com

94-95 OBD I,96-00 OBD II

From my understanding, VTEC is not going to matter if you are definitely going to turbo it. You won't feel the VTEC if you get a turbo because your boost is the turbo. VTEC is boost and Turbo is boost. Boost is Boost. If you want to go turbo, I would highly recommend the LS because of it's lower compression. You can set the psi boost higher than a GSR. That's what I'm going to do. As a matter of fact, I'm doing this tomorrow. I was thinking about a GSR but you'd be wasting your money if you were planning on turbo. The only difference is that GSR says VTEC and LS doesn't. Power is power and the LS is the way to go for boost. If you want VTEC, you can always add a VTEC head to it. As a matter of fact, LS?VTEC is way faster than a GSR. I hope I helped but you don't have to listen to me. I don't need VTEC for the sake of saying I have VTEC so I'm getting my LS turbo. You can never go wrong with swapping an LS engine. B)

Originally posted by MarkJimenez99@Mar 26 2003, 01:57 AM
From my understanding, VTEC is not going to matter if you are definitely going to turbo it. You won't feel the VTEC if you get a turbo because your boost is the turbo. VTEC is boost and Turbo is boost. Boost is Boost.

Vtec is NOT boost,it is a motor function.You can boost the vtec motors as a matter of fact it has been debated to death on this forum as to which is better and in the end the vtec's win overall and the LS is good because it is cheaper to start with.

Yeah, the bottom line is IF you have the money, you should buy a GSR motor. It has excellent power without turbo. That was the engine I wanted to get but I couldn't find any 99 or up ones. (I live in CA so I want to be able to pass smog) They're so hard to find! So I took a different route and just got an LS turbo. As for VTEC, I can always add it later to my LS block. I'm happy with my decision.

Yeah, that's right, Sol. I hear that it won't pass smog too if you live in California. So just buy a GSR engine if you come across one. :spin: I think that's the best engine to get in my opinion.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 26 2003, 11:07 AM
not in Cali you can't. Head swaps are illegal

i live in san diego cali, and hell ya every little thing out her is fucked i get pulled over about 3-4 times a week for hood checks so know i just dont give a fuck, and race at tracks and dont drive it no more on the streets. it sucks!!!! :ph34r:

yea, cali sux cock about that shit. i live in san diego too, but, i havent been hassled like you have. anyway, if you have the money get the gsr, you'll be happier in the long run.

Lets kill the post nd just put it is im going with b18b LS motor for the fact that their a dime of dozen and In my opion Vtec or Non-Vtec Boost is boost and an engine is an engine :p

now someone plz lock this or something!!

befor an all out vtec war starts here!!

:locked: :locked: :locked: :locked: :locked: :locked: :locked: :locked: :locked: :locked: :locked: :locked: :locked: :locked: :locked: :locked:

Originally posted by MarkJimenez99@Mar 25 2003, 07:57 PM
The only difference is that GSR says VTEC and LS doesn't.

As a matter of fact, LS?VTEC is way faster than a GSR.

i think in those 2 statements, you prove that you know absolutely nothing about the b18 series of motors.
Learn shit before you act like you do. :sleep:

Originally posted by Junior00+Mar 28 2003, 10:55 PM-->
Originally posted by 92b16vx@Mar 20 2003, 09:49 PM
EdrikLongtail
@Mar 21 2003, 03:40 AM
but isent gsr obd-II or that only after a certain year.. which isent  i can't remeber but i remeber reading gsr are obd-II i think it was hybird or so.com

94-95 OBD I,96-00 OBD II

Try again, 90-91 where OBD0, 92-95 was OBD1 and 96-00 was OBD2

Talking about with hydraulic trannys thank you.

Originally posted by MarkJimenez99@Mar 26 2003, 07:48 PM
Yeah, that's right, Sol. I hear that it won't pass smog too if you live in California. So just buy a GSR engine if you come across one. :spin: I think that's the best engine to get in my opinion.

am I the only one that thinks MarkJimenez99 is talking out of his ass. One minute he says he thinks the LS is the better motor and then he says the GSR is the better motor...and he called vtec a form of BOOST...I got confused reading his post...can you say "hooked-on-phonics didn't work for him".
if you don't know what you're talking about you shouldn't be giving other people advice...

if you want my 2 cents on this thread, i would say save your money and get the GSR...you'll be spankin people with an LS all day long, unless they're running a turbo...and you can always add that turbo later on and you'll have a monster living under the hood of your car...

i just put a b18b into my crx dx....i am still using the dx engine harness (i got it converted to run off 4 injectors), and i was wondering if anyone knew how to hook up the new harness to the ecu plugs OR a site i can go to to tell me how (if it makes any difference...i am using an ls ecu; PR4)

thanks

SOMEONE LOCK THIS GD POST!!!! :locked: :locked: :locked: :locked: :locked: :locked: :locked: :locked: :locked: :locked: :locked: :locked: :locked: :locked: :locked: :locked: :locked: :locked: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back