H22A install into a 4th Gen Accord

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tab

Super Moderator
This is just a rough draft, that I sat and wrote one night. If you feel I should add anything, or change some words, please make your suggestions in this post, and I will do my best. This complete post is the property of Hondaswap, and myself, Tyson Burgess. Any unauthorized reproduction for anything other than personal use is forbidden. I don't want my guide distributed with motors or used in another site.
That being said, I would be happy to post details that are different in a manual swap, or any 5th gen additions. Later, we may have to add an OBD2 conversion section. This will be stickied and closed in the future, but not until I make all the changes needed. I hope this helps everyone a little.

The basic installation of an H22A is pretty simple, so I'll complicate it.

You start by removing your accessories from your original engine. The AC compressor stays in the engine compartment, while your alternator and power steering pump are removed. I use cable ties to suspend the AC compressor up high and out of the way, strapped to the radiator core. The low pressure line(power steering) should be plugged or the resevoir will drain on the ground. The radiator, battery, battery box, intake piping, radiator hoses, heater hoses(at heater core valve and back of block seem easiest), and coolant resevoir can all be removed also. The wiring harness needs to be removed from the fans on the radiator. You will be pulling against the harness if this is not done before trying to remove it. I usually leave the header connected to the engine, but unbolt it at the first flange. If your original engine has the O2 sensor on the header, it might be a good idea to pull the header shroud off and remove the sensor. Disconnect the main harness plugs at the passenger fender, and disconnect the throttle cable. Disconnect transmission linkage. For Auto tranny, disconnect shifter cable underneath, and the lines next to the rear motor mount. You will want some rubber caps for those lines in that case, since they will also keep draining.

Leave the wiring harness in place as much as possible and mark anything you are unsure about with a paint pen. Yellow works nicely. On the intake, I mark the hose numbers. On joining harness ends, I use lines and dots on each side that match each respective connection.

With the car jacked up, and safely suspended on REAL jackstands, I start removing axles. To remove the axles:
The lower ball joint, tie rod end, lower strut bolt, and axle nut must be removed. A ball joint seperator is handy to have, but sometimes a normal pry bar works to pop the ball joint out of it's hole. Once done, a quick lift of the brake rotor will clear it from it's hole. With this loose, remove the splined outer axle end from it's slot. Be careful not to pound on the axle ends or pull the joints too far apart. With an automatic, a small pry bar eases removal from the transmission. A small retaining ring holds them on the inside.

Leave the suspension loose unless you have to roll the car around. There are two main supports for the front end. One runs front to back, and another larger one is held by four large long bolts in the front, and has four short bolts holding braces to the suspension. I prefer to remove this whole thing by removing those eight bolts, to aid in installation(more space).

Hopefully, you have a lift that goes much higher than you need to go. I have done this swap a number of times, so I'll give you the low down. A cherry picker probably won't lift high enough if the car is on jack stands. A chain hoist or come-a-long may lift high enough, but won't roll anywhere. The best way to do this is to have a hoist on a track or a picker that lifts high(maybe a forklift or a bigger cherry picker). Otherwise, I recommend that you be prepared to put the front end back together so you can roll the car out from under the lifted engine, and conversely back under the new engine when the time comes.

Once you are sure which method to use, and have everthing disconnected but the two motor mounts and the tranny mount, prepare to lift the motor. Connect your lifting chain or other safe lifting apparatus to the engine. Lift just slightly against the bolted down engine to support the weight. Loosen each mounting bolt(the horizontal ones). You may find it much easier to lift and drop the motor slightly as you are removing these bolts. I usually pull the drivers mount bolt first, then the tranny mount, then the rear mount. It may also help to loosen the vertical bolts a little, but not too far, because you don't want to pull the bolts out, or strip the last couple of threads from the studs.
Carefully guide the motor out, checking every inch or so for missed lines, wires, or small obstructions like AC lines.

I prefer to do the harness swap outside of the car. The IAB wiring is optional. Many people just run a vacuum hose directly from the IAB to the intake manifold, bypassing the black box. It is a very simple and effective method, and no codes will be thrown. Of course, if you have the EX model, then the IAB wiring will already be present. If you insist on wiring the IAB, make sure you have an unbroken black box with solenoid below your intake manifold. Run the hoses. The black wire with yellow stripe is + power with the key on, and the pink wire goes to the ECU.

Leave VTEC alone at this point, since you will just confuse yourself. You should swap a couple of items right off of the get go from your stock motor. Carefully pull your EGR from the top of your motor. If done nicely, the gasket will not tear. Transplant that item on the H22(direct fit, saves wiring). Next, the front waterneck with the fan switch should be placed on the H22. It has an O-ring gasket, which makes it very simple. Just check the ring for wear. They are dirt cheap to buy, but chances are you don't need one.

Start wrapping the stock harness around your new engine. You'll need to lengthen a few wires. This becomes self explanatory as you go. The VTEC oil pressure sender takes a different end than your stock oil pressure sensor. They essentially do the same thing. I have successfully traded ends on the stock wiring harness. A small circular electrical connector works just fine. That wire is the yellow wire with the red stripe. The knock sensor is above the oil filter, and the VTEC oil pressure sensor is below. Shielded audio wire should be used for the knock sensor if you do not have the original H22 wiring to steal. Leave yourself a nice length of wire, to easily reach into ECU area after routing the wire. The O2 sensor will be relocated to the lower part of the header, so that will also be lengthened. Finally, once you are sure that the rest of your wiring is sound, add the VTEC wires. You should have near the distributor, blue, green, and black wires. The blue and the green wires are sent to the ECU, and the black wire gets grounded somewhere to the engine.

While the motor is out, you'll also want to figure out which accessories you want. I kept my powersteering and AC, so that's how I'll tell you to do it. The brackets on your original block should be switched over. This will keep everything in line. I prefer to use the H22 bracket and pump. This requires that you buy a DOHC prelude hose. I bought one directly from Honda for $140. The lower end of the hose must be gently tweaked to fit the Accord chassis, but it can be done. I suggest you complete this task with the motor out. I did it with my H22 installed, and you don't want to.....Be very careful not to kink the steel. Make smooth gradual bends that don't flatten out the steel. This is important both for flow of fluid, and making sure that you don't scrap a brand new hose. Your other choice is to have a hydraulic shop attach a Prelude top side to your accord hose. I tried, but none of my local shops would touch it. Too much liablity. It can be done though. Some people have told me that they kept the Accord PS pump, and others have told me that there is a clearance issue. I honestly don't know for sure which swaps it works in and the ones that don't work. You can try it, but you won't know until the swap is installed if it works or not. My swap came with the prelude pump, and so I used it.
Originally posted by evoracer03+Aug 24 2005, 04:34 AM-->
on the power steering pump issue, i just finished an h22 in a 92 auto accord swapped to manual at the same time, i shimmed the accord pump and bracket and it cleared the hood no problem. just to make sure i did repeated 6000 rpm clutch drops to see if the motor would come up and hit it. no problems whatsoever.

the reason being that the accord pump bracket isnt stepped, so it doesnt match up properly with the h22 block. so i shimmed the the lower mounting hole with a couple of washers and took care of that problem. of the 3 most recent h22 accord swaps ive done, only one had a slight clearance issue with this setup; and that was fixed by simply removing the 10mm ground bolt off the top of the pump bracket and slightly bending the line closer to the pump. the customer has put 12000 miles on this swap now with no issues.
[post=]Quoted post[/post]​

I used an EBAY exhaust manifold. It has worked great for me. I cleaned up the exhaust flange holes before installing it with a die grinder, to ensure smooth flow. That's not necessary, but it certainly didn't hurt. This header relocated my O2 sensor for me, bolted right up to my stock cat, and already had a flex pipe installed. A stainless header for $88 plus shipping. C'mon, you can't beat that. I didn't even have to weld on it.

You'll also have to check the number of grooves on your accessory belts. I believe that I used a four groove belt on the for the AC, crank, and alternator. Then a five groove was used for the PS pump to crank belt.

Change your fuel filter, and lengthen the hose if need be(90-93 Accords need to be longer for sure). It's easier to change the filter and disconnect the hoses with the engine out, but reinstalling the fuel line isn't that bad with everything already installed.
evoracer03
@Aug 5 2005, 01:28 AM
thanks for the great info... very much right on point. when dealing with the fuel inlet hose on the 90-93 accord ive found it easier, and much more sanitary, to just swap out the sohc fuel rail onto the h22. it will bolt right on and look factory.
[post=]Quoted post[/post]​

Install your new engine, and start reconnecting everything.

Leave the VTEC wiring for last. You may want to reroute the wires a bit. After everything else is done, move into the ECU area to finish up.

In 90-93 Accords, there are no pins to switch. In 94-95 Accords, pins A6 and A11 need to be swapped. The ends are different sizes, so the wires do need to be clipped to finish that stage.

Assuming you have that done, start connecting wires. I like to rob ECU harness ends from the junkyard. You can reuse the pins with wires still attached. The harness end opens up. Using a very small screwdriver, you can remove the pins from the donor harness. You will see that there are big and small pins. Choose which you need for each wire to connect.

The VTEC oil pressure switch grounds to the engine, and the blue wire with black stripe connects to D6. The VTEC solenoid valve has a green wire with a yellow stripe, and it connects to A4. The Knock sensor is a red wire with a blue stripe, and goes to D3. The IAB, if you chose, has a pink wire with blue stripe ran to A17.

Use your pinout to find which slot you need for sure. If you need to run a wire to D6, find out what color D4 and D8 are. You can't foul up if you know which wires are to either side. Remember, one row is odd, and the other even. It won't kill you to triple check, because it doesn't take long, and those pins land firmly in place when installed correctly. They only go in one orientation. If twisted, they won't shove in, so don't force them. Do one wire at a time, until finished.

Check for codes.

If you have a code, you probably F***ed up. God bless these codes, they tell you where you f***ed up. To clear the code to check again, disconnect your battery OR pull the ECU fuse for at least 15 seconds.

thanks for the great info... very much right on point. when dealing with the fuel inlet hose on the 90-93 accord ive found it easier, and much more sanitary, to just swap out the sohc fuel rail onto the h22. it will bolt right on and look factory.

I would just add, for exhaust, the if you have an 'ex/se' accord you can just get a (crappy) DC header and everything bolts right up.

Other than.. great job. :D

Originally posted by tab@Aug 4 2005, 10:29 PM

While the motor is out, you'll also want to figure out which accessories you want. I kept my powersteering and AC, so that's how I'll tell you to do it. The brackets on your original block should be switched over. This will keep everything in line. I prefer to use the H22 bracket and pump. This requires that you buy a DOHC prelude hose. I bought one directly from Honda for $140. The lower end of the hose must be gently tweaked to fit the Accord chassis, but it can be done. I suggest you complete this task with the motor out. I did it with my H22 installed, and you don't want to.....Be very careful not to kink the steel. Make smooth gradual bends that don't flatten out the steel. This is important both for flow of fluid, and making sure that you don't scrap a brand new hose. Your other choice is to have a hydraulic shop attach a Prelude top side to your accord hose. I tried, but none of my local shops would touch it. Too much liablity. It can be done though. Some people have told me that they kept the Accord PS pump, and others have told me that there is a clearance issue. I honestly don't know for sure which swaps it works in and the ones that don't work. You can try it, but you won't know until the swap is installed if it works or not. My swap came with the prelude pump, and so I used it.

[post=535981]Quoted post[/post]​

It all seems pretty clear, except, in this paragraph this may seem a little confusing. Obviously, most people will assume that you are talking about the powersteering pump and hose; however, it's best not to leave anything up to an assumption in a "how-to".

Thanks for the information, and for always answering our H22Accord questions tab.

Originally posted by hondarin@Aug 5 2005, 06:26 PM
It all seems pretty clear, except, in this paragraph this may seem a little confusing. Obviously, most people will assume that you are talking about the powersteering pump and hose; however, it's best not to leave anything up to an assumption in a "how-to".

Thanks for the information, and for always answering our H22Accord questions tab.

thanks for the suggestion

I try.

Cal suggested that I bullet or number the guide to make it seem more step by step. Does anyone agree or disagree?

I want this to be simple, and complete for the first timer.

More suggestions please. You won't break my heart.

yeah, bullets might be good.

on the power steering pump issue, i just finished an h22 in a 92 auto accord swapped to manual at the same time, i shimmed the accord pump and bracket and it cleared the hood no problem. just to make sure i did repeated 6000 rpm clutch drops to see if the motor would come up and hit it. no problems whatsoever.

Originally posted by evoracer03@Aug 20 2005, 02:12 PM
[post=542866]Quoted post[/post]​

cool, good info, could you give a little bit better description of how you shimmed the pump, and why you did it to begin with? :)

the reason being that the accord pump bracket isnt stepped, so it doesnt match up properly with the h22 block. so i shimmed the the lower mounting hole with a couple of washers and took care of that problem. of the 3 most recent h22 accord swaps ive done, only one had a slight clearance issue with this setup; and that was fixed by simply removing the 10mm ground bolt off the top of the pump bracket and slightly bending the line closer to the pump. the customer has put 12000 miles on this swap now with no issues.

what i figured out when i did my swap last year was that when a 92-93 accord doesnt matter what trim level that they have the external dizzy. and if u put a h22 with the internal dizzy then u would have to jump the lines. what i have seen people do is put a wire in to jump it. i just put a fuse in. didnt matter what amp fuse. just put it in between that 4 wire plug that the external dizzy uses and put the fuse in between the two connections. there is 3 plugs only jump the two next to each other. if u need pix to describe this i will post them up. just tryin to help

Originally posted by evoracer03@Aug 24 2005, 04:34 AM
[post=544416]Quoted post[/post]​

excellent, thank you. What is so hard with these swaps is that we all find different ways to complete our swaps. It's like comparing good, better, and best. I will be more than willing to add this info.....

the only other info i could add to help out here would be:

when removing accesories, i like to leave the power steering pump connected to the lines, then i just lay it on top of the reservoir. then, by unbolting the vss from the tranny (leaving the two small power steering lines attached), you now have no mess from the system.

also if removing the engine from the top, removal of the lower crossmember is not necessary, just pull the wishbone shaped front mount and then while hoisting the engine remove the pass. side tranny mount from its bracket. this will allow you to roll the engine enough to pull. just attach the hoist chain to the proper points and its cake.

and since this seems to be a debatable topic elsewhere: the prelude axles WILL NOT fit the 4th gen accord platform. use either the accord axles AND intermediate shaft, or you can use the prelude intermediate shaft and accord axles by swapping the inner cv on the driver side to the prelude cv.

hope this helps everyone, and once again, great article tab. i wish someone would have done one of these when i first started doing these swaps!!

Back