H22A JDM swap into 99 Lude.. Need help wont rev past 3000 rpm's

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RaceTech

Just finished a JDM H22a swap into our usdm h22a 99 Prelude. First of all we had a problem with a crank angle sensor( the JDM doesnt have one). We redid some wiring to the internal coil distributor ( but we still have the external coil as well ) . The vehicle starts but will not rev past 3k.... We are also using the JDM computers. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You in Advance
Rick

I believe thay are both OBDII engines.How can I tell the difference between an OBDII and I engine.

Last edited:
so what year was the engine made?

on the front side of the head. it looks like 4 little clocks. they are in bettween the header runners.

What is a P5M?? If it is the transmission then yes we are.

Hey man , First Import engine swap. We work on FWD domestics all day long. We are using the JDM "red" ECU's ( as they are marked on the top). The connectors all matched up perfectly.

well all the connectors would match up if its some random ass obd2 ecu. there is a code writte on the ecu (sometimes under the cover) that will say J00-P5M-JF484FJ or something like that.

if you are using the wrong ecu, you know why the car wont rev past 3k

The ecu that was given to us with the engine has no code on the inside of the cover.. But it does have a sticker on the outside with the following nubmbers on it. 37820-p5p-003

alrighty, thats what i was looking for. that is the ecu for the red top h22. i dont know what negative effects it will have if you have a black top h22, but i know thats not the right ecu for the black top.

just so you know, im at work now and the responses will be a little more spaced out.

Last edited:
hmmm....well if youre using the right ecu and youre using the right engine and your using the right distributor, id check your CELs and see what sensor we neglected to plug in.

well if everything is JDM (engine, ECU, Wiring...etc) and is OBD2 then it should all just connect in nicely and work...try disconnecting batery and reseting the ECU, or re trace the wiring and figure out if there is a missing connection.

My recent H22a swap into my 93 Lude is having simular issues. I bounce back at about 4k tho. Plus there's a slight bogging type of issue. It just doesn't feel responsive. I read about from the person who started this post that the crank angle sensor is not on the jdm motor. Were they refering to the crank shaft positioning sensor (CSPS)? B/c I am throwing a code for that and for the temp sensor. There is no temp sensor on my JDM block. I have only seen that on my USDM H23a1 and my H22a1 (if thats the one that the green plug connects into in front of the block just under the dizzy). When I recieved this motor I did a basic tune up NGK plugs & wires, new Dizzy, rotor trans flush, oil flush, water pump, and I was going to change the belt but it was in excellent shape so I never did that. I checked the timing and it's TDC. So everything on the belt side seems to be in order. I went over the MSD ignition system and coil wiring and that seems fine. Also I took off the internal JDM dizzy for the External USDM one that I had on my other motor. So I am using that. The only thing I can see that I don't have hooked up is the Knock sensor, but thats b/c I didn't worry about replacing the broken sensor since I am running a p28. Now I'm sure I will get flammed for this but the p28 is stock. I didn't have it chipped. The mods I currently have on this motor are below. Incase this gives anyone a better ideal of what might be causing this. Thanks
92 JDM H22a (from an auto)
M2b4 trans :0)
XTD 6puck
XTD Flywheel
NGK WIRES
NGK irid. plugs
MSD SCI 6200 BOX
MSD SS blaster coil
93' USDM Dizzy
MSD civic dizzy cap
MSD rotor
Dc Junk headers :0)