h22a swap = Engine light = how do I fix?

• Thread starter Thread starter jdmclude
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 2K

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jdmclude

Ok people I know your probably tired of all my H22a questions, but that's what the forum is for right.....????? Any how here is the deal. I have a JDM H22a wired up with my F22b1 wireharness and using the OBD 2 to 1 harness with my Stock JDM P13 ECU. I also converted from auto to manual and I used the Stock Cat from my CL. I can not remember off the top of my head if the stock cat from the CL has 1 or 2 O2 sensors, or vice versa with the Prelude one. This could be triggering the engine light.

Since the harnesses is OBD 2 and the motor and tranny are OBD 1, my mechanics code reader can not grab a valid code to tell us what is causing this light to go off. Does anyone have any insight on what to do or what instrument to use that could read the code?

Lastly, The other day I started my car and I noticed the engine light was off, but my car was running like shit for like 30 seconds, it got so bad it basically felt like the car was running out of gas, then 20 seconds later the engine light came on and the car felt perfect? I believe there is some sensor that is responsible for the fuel mixture is defective or something and is possibly causing my car to do that. Any insight on this?

If your engine is not recieving a signal from a sensor, or if it is out of the signals normal range, the ECU plugs in a predetermined value. That might be why the engine light comes on and the idle smooths out.

^^^^^^Look up your code.

I hear you tab, but that's the problem, I can't look up the code because the computer that plugs into the OBD 2 diagnostic plug can not make out a code since its on a OBD 1 motor and ecu.

Well if I stand corrected, the prelude motor/cat had 2 O2 sensors and our CL's only had one,
exaust.JPG
See the circle close to header is the piece that we added from the prelude that had an O2 sensor in it, and the other circle is the stock one from our CL.

See now this section gets a bit foggy to me. Your CL was OBD2 right? Okay, OBD2 required two O2 sensors. You've ran a harness that converts you to OBD1. Your ECU is OBD1. So your ECU only needs one signal. However, how your conversion harness mashes everything together is a mystery to me. I don't know if that harness drops the signal from one or the other, or if it combines the two signals. I just don't know.

I would look at an OBD1 pinout/wiring diagram. OBD1 cars have a "service connector" that you jump. You don't have that connector. However, I believe that you should be able to splice one in, since that service connector has two wires that correspond with two entering the ECU. Savvy? If you could splice in your own service connector, then the ECU should still control the Check engine light and make it blink like OBD1.

It's just an idea, but I can't think of any reason why it shouldn't work. Just be careful.

Best I can figure, you can jump between D4 and D21 to make the CEL blink. You can look at my wiring diagrams and make your own determination. I will not be responsible for any damage that occurs during an attempt. I wish you luck, and by all means look through my pics again. This one is the most helpful. I know you have this book. Interestingly, the blue/white wire intersects with D21, then continues on to become green/white at D22. helms pic

Good luck.

Thanks Tab, I am definatly going to try that. I know your not responsible for any of the advice you give me hahaaha it's all good, I am just happy that there is someone that is knowledgable on here that can offer the info that your able to give. Appreciate the help and I will try this. I'll let you know how it goes.

This is a new realm for me. I wish I could say that it is safe, but I don't know.

Good luck.

Back